Would you rather deal with a heat wave, or a blizzard? It's been steamy in New York City all week, hitting a record 104°F last Friday.
Wisely, people are choosing activities carefully, staying in air conditioning and drinking plenty of water. A scoop of ice cream helps too.
Blistering heat forces us to strip down to t-shirts, shorts and bare feet. Anything above a cotton tank, or sandals is pure insanity.
When temperatures broil, it's the perfect time to tie hair up in a ponytail and wear less make-up. Let freedom rule! Why bother with cosmetics that melt off your face in five minutes flat? Plus, we are all in the same boat. We can go l'naturelle together and not worry about it.
Here are a few barebones beauty essentials to see you through a long hot summer:
2. Face serum – Dr. Andrew Weil Plantidote is refreshing and reduces inflammation.
3. Olay Complete – It has sun protection and comes in regular or tinted. I apply it to my face all year around.
4. Max Factor Pan-Stik – It should match your skin tone. Use it as an under eye concealer. It also covers zits.
5. NARS Multiplier – You can dab color to cheeks and lips.
6. e.l.f. Clear Lash & Brow Mascara – To keep eyebrows groomed.
7. Baby Powder – When temperatures rise, I use it as loose face powder.
8. L'Oreal Colour Juice – It's a sheer lip gloss good for both summer and winter.
9. A Bronzer – Contour your face to look sun kissed. The Body Shop makes them with rich pigments that can be used in place of blush [i.e. then skip #5, if you wish].
Personally, I'm not a big fan of oil blotters. A Kleenex works equally as well, or better. And I forgo eye liner, shadow, mascara, skin primer and foundation. It all goes south in extreme heat, which looks worst than going bare.