Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Homemade Protein Bars On A Budget

Question: What can I do with two tubs of whey protein powder, chocolate and vanilla? They have been in my cupboard for a long time. Here's an idea. Homemade protein bars, a recipe, via Fitness World, costing about 55 cents per bar verses $1.50 for store sold protein bars. Occasionally, I eat a protein bar to keep from getting cross if I can't avoid missing lunch. The following recipe for homemade bars is fairly simple:

Homemade Protein Bars

Ingredients

8 scoops chocolate protein powder 
1 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup 1% milk
3 tbsp crushed peanuts

Directions


1. Mix together the protein powder, oatmeal, peanut butter, honey and milk.
2. Form into 5 bars and then roll in the crushed peanuts to finish.
3. Place in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes, or until solid.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I made them:

I won't lie, a protein bar will never be as tasty as a hot meal, or a delicious overstuffed sandwich (let's not kid ourselves!), but they do stop hunger; and when faced with skipping lunch, they keep your blood sugar level stable. Better than eating an unhealthy snack!

Next, vanilla protein bars to use up the vanilla tub. I can see rolling vanilla protein bars in cocoa powder, nuts, or chopped dates or raisins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Speaking of dates, a recipe for Raw Brownie Bites (by Josh Axe) appeared in the Epoch Times, a New York City newspapper, which looks even better!

Ingredients:

2 cups whole walnuts
2 1/2 cups medjool dates
1 cup cacao powder
1 cup raw, unsalted almonds, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

1) Place the ingredients in order, one at a time, in a food processor. Finely grind the walnuts, but pulse to combine everything else. The consistency should look like cake crumbs. The dates will hold the mixture together. If not, add more dates.

2) Shape into balls and refrigerate on a plate until ready to serve.

I haven't tried these yet, but have the ingredients. Looks delicious!

You may also enjoy:
Russian Tea Cakes
Czechoslovakian Cookies
Homemade Monster Cookies
How To Make Laduree Macaroons ... A La Paris

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, these both sounds soooooo good Debra. My only problem here would be I would want to have another, and another..... All that chocolate/peanut butter goodness is making me want one right this minute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, when I was a congressional intern in Washington DC, a senate staff aide was married to a man from India, who made a dessert very similar to the Brownie Bites. I have never forgotten how moist and delicious they were. This seems like an easy version of what I remember. Yes, it would be hard not to eat a plateful of them! Only made them when you are forced to share with a house full of people.

      Delete