Thursday, September 29, 2022

Should You Sleep On A Silk Pillowcase To Prevent Wrinkles?


Silk pillowcases are expensive so alas ... should you pay the piper for them to prevent wrinkles? Let's discuss.

Silk is said to be a better fabric than cotton for pillowcases because it prevents lines and wrinkles from etching on your face. The argument goes, silk's smooth surface lessens the amount of friction on the skin as we sleep. Silk also absorbs less moisture than cotton, therefore when sleeping on silk, the serums, creams, and dewiness in your skin stay on your face instead of getting absorbed into your pillowcase. 

Well according to some dermatologists, silk does pull the skin less and the fabric does soak up less moisture than cotton. However, I don't think it makes any discernable difference in the aging of a face, and personally, I won't be switching from cotton to silk pillowcases. 

Here's why:

1) Silk is 3+ times higher in price, so for me to switch from cotton to silk pillowcases, I'd have to look 3+ times younger going forward. There would have to be a recognizable difference to be worth the extra cost. For sure, I'll have age-appropriate wrinkles, and I think slathering on scientifically proven anti-aging serums will do more to stop and soften those lines and wrinkles than any other course of action. Slather on enough face serum and enough face serum will absorb into our skin even if some ends up on a pillowcase! Btw: I can find no studies measuring silk versus cotton in creating lines on a face. If obsessed, you'll have to sleep standing up.😁

2) Although silk is smooth, soft, and comfortable, good cotton (sheets and) pillowcases are also cozy and luxurious to sleep on, no? 

3) A silk pillowcase is more trouble to clean. It must be hand washed, or machine washed separately on a delicate cycle, then hung up to dry while cotton can be mindlessly machine washed and dried on a hot setting. IMHO over the years, silk pillowcases add up to needless time and money spent.

Still if unlike me, you'd like to switch from cotton to silk pillowcases, Fishers Finery is 19 Momme 100% Pure Mulberry Silk; machine washable; and the best value I can find for silk pillowcases. Another option is a Bedsure Satin Pillowcase for a feels-like-silk fabric that promises the same benefits as silk, namely, hydrated skin and less frizzy hair.

And finally my lovely readers, don't get me wrong: I like silk and satin pillowcases, but for the same money, I can buy an Eddie Bauer 100% cotton bed set to get 2 cotton sheets and 2 pillowcases for the cost of one silk pillowcase. In fact, I did so! I love cotton bedding too. Somebody, please speak up if my cotton pillowcases are adding creases to my face by drying out and rubbing against my skin. I haven't noticed!😳


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha to silk pillow cases, if I all these ads worked, I'd look young and very beautiful with all the creams I've tried in the past.

    ReplyDelete