Monday, October 5, 2026

Classic vs Healthy Thumbprint Jam Cookies


I’m thinking about making Thumbprint Jam Cookies for Christmas this year, a cookie we never made in my family. After a test run of making Healthy Jam Thumbprint Cookies this evening, I plan to go with the classic Thumbprint Jam Cookie recipe. The healthy recipe is tasty enough to eat (I ate 6 cookies for dinner), but its texture isn’t exactly right to satisfy my (and likely your) cookie craving. It’s like eating a protein bar instead of a candy bar, which doesn’t quite cut it! I’ll give you both recipes, and you can try each one to see if you agree with me.

Healthy Thumbprint Jam Cookies

1 1/2 cups oatmeal, ground into a fine  powder
1/2 cup almonds, ground into a powder
3 tbs applesauce
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a squirt of honey (about a tablespoon)
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup low-sugar fruit jam (like raspberry or strawberry)

Directions:

1) With a fork, incorporate the 1st 7 ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

2) I used the all-purpose flour to make the cookie dough less sticky and easier to handle by sprinkling it on the dough and my hands as I formed 1 tablespoon of the dough into balls.

3) Place the balls on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Flatten them and press an indentation (a well) into the dough with your thumb.

4) Fill each well with about 1/2 teaspoon of jam.

5) Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Let cool before eating.

These aren’t terrible cookies to eat, but they aren’t the best in texture. The banana makes them sweet enough, but a lack of butter leaves the texture wanting, except perhaps for an unwavering Health Nut.

Classic Thumbprint Jam Cookies

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves

Directions:

1) With a fork, incorporate the first 6 ingredients. I’ll save 1/4 cup of the all-purpose flour to sprinkle on the dough and my hands while forming the balls of cookies. If necessary, refrigerate the dough to make it easier to handle.

2) After forming the balls (about a tablespoon of dough each), place the dough balls on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and flatten them. Use you thumb to form a well into each cookie.

3) Fill the wells with about 1/2 teaspoon of preserves.

4) Bake at 350 degrees F for 11 - 15 minutes. Cool before eating.

A classic Thumbprint Cookie is a shortbread cookie with a well filled with jam. The most satisfying shortbread cookies are soft yet crunchy. I plan to get wild and crazy by rolling them in vanilla sugar before baking for a rich vanilla flavor.

Visions of sugar, butter, and vanilla dancing on our tongues sounds like the perfect Christmas cookie, don’t you agree?

You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment