Monday, September 28, 2026

5 Functional Mini Umbrellas

Totes Auto Open/Close Minis

When rain falls in the summer, it could be sunny and dry an hour later. Not so in the autumn and winter, when rain frequently means a damp and gloomy day or a wicked, stormy weekend.

Although often requiring compromise, I no longer carry big, bulky umbrellas to tackle rainy days. Surely I’m not alone in preferring mini umbrellas that are super light and fit into a purse or jacket pocket. Here's a roundup of 5 mini umbrellas customers like. The criteria: The umbrella should fit into a handbag or pocket, be easy to open and close, open wide enough to keep us dry, reasonably withstand the wind, and have a long enough shaft to hold comfortably: 

1) Mini Totes - The best experience I’ve had with mini umbrellas is with Totes. Of course, there are some compromises compared to using a full-sized heavy umbrella; namely, a strong wind can blow it up, but you can quickly snap it right back into place, and it is stronger than other brands I’ve tried, including Eagle Creek and Leighton. The shaft is a comfortable length. You don’t want the umbrella sitting on your head!
😳 Priced at $20, Mini and Micro Mini Totes appear in the aisles at T.J. Maxx regularly, where you will pay $10, half price. I don’t like to pay more since umbrellas are easily lost despite efforts to be responsible. Although not a dealbreaker, I prefer manual to auto open/close mini umbrellas. It takes no strength to manually open a mini umbrella, and they don’t break as often as automatics.

2) Sherry Travel Mini Umbrella for Purse With Case - Overall, positive reviews from customers. One of the smallest, weighing 4.5 oz, so perhaps worthy if you desire to keep an umbrella in your purse at all times for unexpected rain. It won’t weigh down an overnight bag either. The case makes it easier to keep it in a handbag, but it’s not an umbrella's strongest selling point; still nice as long as the case is a bonus.

3) Mustarpicking Mini Travel Umbrella with Case - A bestseller that has many positive reviews. A strong wind can flip it up, yet customers say the umbrella is surprisingly sturdy. As with this mini umbrella, many brands have SPF sun protection, another feature I wouldn’t pay extra to get, since it's not the reason we carry umbrellas. Their main function is to keep us dry.

4) Lilac Travel Mini Umbrella - The canopy opens to a generous-sized umbrella. The retractable handle is a bonus, making it easy to hold. Reported to hold up well in wind, customers say it’s of average quality, reasonably priced, and works well for everyday use. I’d reluctantly pay up to $11.97 for the cheapest color, but not more.
5) Davek Mini - This mini is one of Condé Nast Traveller’s top-rated, so I think it's fun to compare it. It’s compact and, ohhh, so sleek! But at $65, a regular wage earner would cry if s/he lost it! Umbrellas are just so easy to leave behind, and that’s not all! Once, I went to a house party. The hosts put our extras (my cloth tote bag holding a scarf and mini umbrella) in their coat closet. When I left to go home, the party givers searched and searched but couldn’t find my items! There was either a black hole in their closet or another guest took my belongings home! I got wet getting on the bus and never got my things returned. If you inadvertently take somebody’s stuff home, you should call the hosts to tell them! I was fond of my black mini tote umbrella with colored polka-dots that I managed not to lose, and at least I only paid $10 for it at T.J. Maxx. A mystery never to be solved!

Umbrellas should keep us dry. They are an item that needs to be functional, not expensive, which is why Totes are my #1 choice. 

Your umbrellas ... and where do you turn to buy them? 

You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment