Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Love Letter To Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody from A Night At The Opera
I tried to think of a clever reason to feature the rock band Queen this morning, but there isn't one ... other than: I LOVE QUEEN and will never grow tired of listening to their albums.  Their songs never get old.

Nothing beats the experience of listening to LIVE music, and Queen could mesmerize an arena.  It's an understatement to say that the band could really play and sing and entertain. Several music critcs claim they were the highlight at Live Aid in 1985 (see here). And what style of rock didn't this British band write and perform?:  hard rock {Liar}, glam rock {Killer Queen}, mirror ball funk {Another One Bites the Dust}, white gospel {Somebody to Love}, rock operettas {Bohemian Rhapsody}, rockabilly {Crazy Little Thing Called Love}, Rock and Roll anthems {We Will Rock You; We Are The Champions} and sweet ballads {These Are the Days of Our Lives; Love of My Life}.  The list goes on ...

As any Queen fan knows, all four members: lead singer and pianist, Freddie Mercury, guitarist, Brian May, bassist, John Deacon and drummer, Roger Taylor wrote hit songs for the band.

Queen also made a memorable video before MTV came onto the scene.  Bohemian Rhapsody [above], a six minute music promo, was produced years before music videos aired.  It is probably my favorite video of all time, one I never get tired of watching.  And this being rock and roll, a genre where image matters ... allow me to give an opinion: The boys were at their cutest at this time, with their youthful faces framed by Raphaelian locks of hair.  Roger, especially, was a very pretty man.  C'mon, you know you're thinking it.

Time goes on, but it's nice to look back.  When I think of the music of Queen, it takes me back to FM radio and listening to them on the stereo system in my parents' living room.  The first time, I heard Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio, I looked up to see that everybody in the room was thinking the same thing: WHAT WAS THAT?  It turned out to be the start of some of the most original and powerful music in Rock and Roll history.  Clearly, their legacy will endure, but anything you try to say about Queen is an understatement.  Enjoy the music.  

BTW., We clowned around to Another One Bites The Dust, falling "dead" on couches and lazy boy chairs. Didn't everyone? Play it here.
Sheer Heart Attack years

You may also enjoy:
Guilty Pleasure Songs 2     

5 comments:

  1. Debra, you hit the nail on the head! There will never be another band like Queen and the tragedy of losing Freddie so young too makes me tear up everytime I hear him sing. No other singer has had that effect on me.
    Thankfully their music will live on forever.

    Great blog post : )
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky! Watching Freddie sing makes me laugh (mostly!) and cry too. Beautiful, expressive singer.

    Wish he was still with us, and I admire how his band mates (bless them) have struck a nice balance between keeping his memory alive and not living in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is your favorite band, Debbie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a hard question. Sometimes it's the band I happen to be listening to at the time.

    Love the Everly Brothers, but let's call them a duo instead of a band, so I can move on. :)

    I'm very fond of Led Zeppelin. The Hollies. U2. Lots of Motown acts. Pylon from Athens, GA (the original members), Cream was very good. But I probably love Queen just a hair more than other bands. Love, love Queen. xoxo

    Queen's Brian May is an excellent teacher. Listen to him explain stuff on YouTube. I want to be in his classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting clicks on this post today.

    RIP Freddie Mercury: Sept. 5, 1946 - Nov. 24, 1991.

    Set up by his bandmates in Freddie's memory: You can donate to the Mercury Phoenix Trust - an AIDS charity: www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com, if you wish.


    Yesterday Peter Freestone, Freddie Mercury's former PA, sent this note to fans:

    "Hi all you Freddie fans out there! I know the 24th is a special day, for many a day of sadness. For myself, it is not a day for tears, but really a day to think about Freddie's release from pain and suffering. It should be a day to think about the amazing music and lyrics he gave all of us, and the wonderful memories we live with today."

    Take care,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete