Thursday, August 20, 2020

5 Things I Hate Doing


THE SAVVY SHOPPER is more about things I love not hate, and this post is only the 2nd blog I've written about things I dislike or hate. Although the sentiments are true, it's written in fun about minor activities, not serious worldly problems. No deep discussions today. Different strokes for different folks: No judgments, only personal non-preferences follow -- 

Here are 5 Activities I Hate, Hate, Hate!:

1) Changing purses/bags - It seems like such a waste of time! I hate having to transfer ALL my practical, portable possessions out of one purse and organizing them into the slots of another handbag ... so much so I rarely do it. I wear one bag until it literally wears out, and the strap breaks off my shoulder, falling off into the middle of the street. No exaggeration! It happens. Then I grab a new crossover bag.
Photo: The Steamboat Grand
2) Spa massages - One of my woman friends always receives a spa day as a Christmas present from her husband, a gift she cherishes. I've gotten spa treatments as birthday gifts also, but I don't care for the massage. They don't hurt. The touching doesn't embarrass me. They simply take away an hour of time where I have to lie still doing nothing! I'd rather read; sit in a garden; take a leisurely walk; or have a great chat with a friend!! I don't like being oiled up either. I come in clean and after I'm all greased up, I pray I don't get it on the street clothes I leave in, or I have to take a 2nd shower in a single day to remove what feels like grimy-slimy yuck! Moreover I don't feel the worries of the world being massaged away; and I don't feel pampered!

3) Manicures/pedicures - Certainly I like them better than spa massages; and the manicurists do an excellent job of making my
nails look fabulous. But!! After having the experience of getting a few manis/pedis over the years, I think they are a big time-suck. Takes half a day to make the appointment, travel to and from, plus the time spent at the nail salon having the work done. What a rigmarole! I suppose I'm more of a do it yourself groomer and I like my nails cut short (with or without polish), which I can do while watching television or listening to music in a tenth of the time it takes to have others do it for me.

4) Debone or Cut Up a Raw Chicken - Buying a whole chicken last week gave me the idea for this blog. I have never deboned or cut up a chicken carcass in my entire life. I don't know how and I don't want to learn, therefore I always roast a whole chicken, serving it with vegetables, salad, and gravy. Good enough, no? You'll eat a whole chicken no other way in my home unless you cook it.

5) Major DIY Home Improvements - I will do tiny/minor repairs like painting a window sill or replacing one tile on a floor, but for big jobs, forget about it! I hire experts. I don't have the patience to study YouTube videos and learn by making errors. IMHO it's another time suck! I just want it done right the first time out without frustrations, hurdles, or beginners' mistakes. Hiring an experienced professional for big house improvements (from painting to installing a new floor) is worth every damn penny!

Are there activities other people do that you so dislike you won't do them? Please share! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, I think we are twins! With the partial exception of a few quick pedis over our long hot Summer, I am right with you about all of this list :) The only place I get my toe nails done is a quick one a couple of minutes from home, in and out in 1 hour, with fresh polish to show in my Summer sandals. I hate massages, not that they hurt, but they do not relax me one little bit. Once I was given a voucher for a pedi at some weird salon where I had to lie down in the dark, listen to so-called relaxation music, while she did an extremely average pedi. Never again. I actually relax by doing something I want to do: walking, painting, sewing, reading, whatever. One of my most disliked activities is going to crowded, noisy, bars or restaurants where you can't talk or hear other people. Not for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I enjoy the camaraderie of a like-minded person Trish! Thanks for weighing in. And we are twins, I don't like loud bars either. You can't catch up with the person you came with, or get to know a new acquaintance. "Too loud" is hard on the ears and trying, indeed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debra! I’m with you all the way on the last four peeves! But I do have different purses, all over the shoulder straps, that I colour co-ordinate with my outfits! The only things I transfer from one to the other are my wallet and phone! They all have the other stuff we usually have in them. Such as wet wipes and lipsticks and pen and pad! Musts too! As for massages and mani pedis, I never go in for them! I am a tight budget gal! Lol! But also don’t like the time spent being idle! like you, I’d rather be out sauntering and gardening and reading too! I hear NYC is great for all that! 💖😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found a smart way of making switching purses easier! I'm happy you stopped in to contribute your take. I learn from other people.

      Delete