Tuesday, August 4, 2020

John Prine's April Passing From COVID-19 Hurt

Sometimes during our pandemic, I wake up in a funk because the world is far from being back to normal. With a new virus, herd immunity takes a long time to develop. Yesterday a friend called to chat, asking me when I thought a vaccine would be ready. She hoped by December, but listening to the news I think it will take at least another year for the distribution part of getting a vaccine out and administered to the public to occur. So I say another year, summer, 2021 at the earliest. And that is if the government at the top has it together. Perhaps it was our conversation or the fact that again I'm not going to work today, but I woke up in a funk this morning wondering how am I going to get through another day of Coronavirus? (I paid NO attention to Zoom until reluctantly I had to install it on my computer in April. Been on it a few times, and for all I know somebody in another part of the world is now watching me as I type!👀)

What I do to handle my gloomy mood is to acknowledge it -- Yep, I'm in a funk ... yes I have a good reason to be ... ok, I'll let myself be in a funk for 1/2 hour or so. Now snap out of it! It's simply a waste of time to wallow in a woe you can do little about. So next, I refocus my mind by finding something big or small to try to accomplish. 
Also, I'm grateful to live in Manhattan within a state where we've taken this pandemic seriously. Manhattan is opening up uber slowly ... the very thing putting me in a funk! Most indoor activities ... jobs, restaurants, movies, theatre, gyms remain closed. There is nooo way to get around the science of a disease, and yet I worry about how all the businesses will survive. Some won't! And we wear masks everywhere we go. I hate my mask! It's hot and another to-do step before leaving my home. But as an adult I wear it!!

Moreover, it upset me tremendously when I heard in late March that a brilliant songwriter John Prine was on a ventilator in Nashville. He began his career in the late 60s-early 70s writing songs for my father's favorite singers, the Everly Brothers + others. I knew he had beaten lung cancer, and short of a miracle ... Well, the miracle didn't come, and he died on April 7, 2020. R.I.P. John Prine. You are one of 159,773 souls in the USA (700, 756 worldwide) and counting lost to COVID.🙁

After all these months at home, I understand his poignant song, Angel From Montgomery as never before. The protagonist is beaten down by life and inertia. Life on hold. Going nowhere for a prolonged period of time. The uncertainty. The waiting. It is painful.

When I return home at the end of the day, my apartment feels like a haven. If I have little reason to leave, the apartment feels more like a prison. The yin tries to swallow the yang!

What I know is this: Life is bittersweet. We can't escape the bitter but must not forget the sweet. Stay well my lovelies!🌹
__________________________________________________
Lyrics: 
ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY
I am an old woman named after my mother
My old man is another child that's grown old
If dreams were thunder, lightning was desire
This old house would have burnt down a long time ago

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

When I was a young girl well, I had me a cowboy
He weren't much to look at, just free rambling man
But that was a long time and no matter how I try
The years just flow by like a broken down dam

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

There's flies in the kitchen, I can hear 'em there buzzing
And I ain't done nothing since I woke up today
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening and have nothing to say

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to

To believe in this living is just a hard way to go
_________________________________________________


You may also enjoy:
Rainbow Style
My Love Letter To Queen
Remembering Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany
Phil Everly: January 19, 1939 - January 3, 2019 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the music, so sorry to read another good song writer has gone, and to Covid too. You are having a real hard time of it over there, and I applaud you for coping so well. Here in Queensland, after the first wave, we had about 6-7 weeks of nil new infections, but now people have become rash, broken rules, and brought it in from the South where it is really getting grim. They are in Stage 4 lockdown. We are isolating again right now, just in case. PS Have I told you we are going to be grandparents of twins? Yes, due sometime in September, in Sydney, where we are not allowed to go because it is a hot spot. Hopefully, things will improve and we will get to see the new arrivals, such a joy in troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I have read about the surge of COVID in the South of Australia and worried for Brisbane. It is also surging in the Southern USA, where face masks were not mandated and the states opened too soon for political reasons. And if it surges in one area, we are all venerable as the world is so interconnected. I am baffled by the cavalier responses of too many people.

      Good music, good storytelling, they last forever.

      Twins! Oh, what great news. So glad we are friends on FB too, so I can get all the updates and see the future photos!!! Congratulations, Trish! I'll have to find out which of your children is expecting the new arrivals.

      Delete