You won't need to rob a bank to buy anti-aging skin care that really works. After sunscreen, face serum is the most effective weapon in your beauty arsenal. One of my most popular blogs discusses the importance of face serum, plus lists a number of budget friendly options. Because. Regardless of how good a luxe face serum is, if it's too pricey to use everyday, it's of no use to you! You don't want to find your pretty, unwrinkled self standing in a bread line, do you?
Face serum should perform the following anti-aging vital functions: (a) add hydration to the skin; (b) reduce the appearance of fine lines and winkles; and (c) encourage the production of collagen and new skin growth.
Three ingredients in skin care products help to slow down aging, and/or repair skin damage by promoting the grow of collegan: 1) retinols; 2) alpha hydroxy acid (glycolic acid, lactic acid and citic acid); and 3) vitamin C.
Face serums have smaller molecules than lotions and creams and so penetrate deeper layers of skin. The newest trend is to layer a face oil loaded with antioxidants and omega acids over your face serum, an influence of Korean and Asian skin care. Like you, I think, another product, another step, nooo! Stop the madness!!! ... but I loved how the face oil moisturized my skin (without the grease) over the winter ... and looking good is what it's all about!
1) Emu Oil All Purpose Moisturizer - This is the +1 on the list: No, it's not a serum, but Australian Aborigines have used emu oil for thousands of years to do wonders for the skin. Containing high levels of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, it absorbs easily into the skin, never clogging pores. Emu oil is an anti-inflammatory. (It's inflammation that causes aging.) Emu oil stimulates the growth of collagen, helping to repair sun damage. Plus, you can use emu oil as a rub to heal sore joints and muscles also!
2) Now Hyaluronic Acid Firming Serum - Suitable for all skin types. With age our skin loses moisture, but hyaluronic acid is a super moisture binder. The serum contains antioxidants to fight free radicals along with collagen building agents to soften lines and wrinkles.
3) Derma E Firming Serum with DMAE Alpha Lipoic and C-Ester - An intense hydrating formula to tighten, tone and promote skin elasticity. DMAE lifts and tightens skin. Alpha Lipoic Acid stops free radicals from aging skin, and C-Ester improves skin texture by helping to build collagen and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Vitamin C also helps sunscreen work better. At $18, you get lots of bang for the buck!
4) Baebody Retinol Serum - This has 2.5% retinol, hyaluronic acid and vitamin E to smooth, firm and moisturize the skin. Retinol is the non-prescription strength of Retin-A (tretinoin). Avoid the side effects of redness, dryness and rawness by starting with over-the-counter (retinol) and building up to the prescription strength (Retin-A). Use retinol at night to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, not during the day as sunlight destroys it.
5) Olay Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir - (This is being discontinued so online prices are rising fast! If you find it for $13 or less, buy several!) It has glycolic acid which speeds up cell turnover. Glycolic acid brightens your skin by helping you shed dead skin and bringing new skin to the surface. Many women alternate their use of serums, using a retinol based serum one night followed by a glycolic acid serum the next ... back and forth. Once this product is gone, you'll spend over $20 for glycolic acid elixirs. Olay rocks!
Use these budget friendly youth potions every day and night and still have moola left in your wallet!
You may also enjoy:
End Of Summer Skin Care
Jaclyn Smith's Anti-Aging Skin Care
Cosmeceutical Skin Care ... Say What?
Drugstore Beauty Buys To Beat The Winter Doldrums