Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Case For Cheaper Casual Smart Dresses

Old Navy: Sleeveless Jersey Swing Dress

Perhaps the last time I bought higher priced dresses was 4 years ago. But guess what? They mostly hang out in my closet. One of them I've only worn once! A few, not at all!! And ... have you noticed? Few people fuss much anymore. Plus fast fashion gives us many options to look polished while spending less.

Old Navy
I admit to wearing dresses from H&M and Old Navy even to fancy events such as the New York City Ballet and nice restaurants. I dress them up with shoes and accessories; and I dare say, no one is the wiser! While I appreciate the fine fabrics and craftsmanship of high fashion, sometimes I have no desire to worry about soiling an expensive dress on a night out schlepping around on subways, or sitting on park benches. Most of us in Manhattan don't have cars to step in and out of while wearing our designer attire; and I'd much rather enjoy my outing with abandon than stressing over my dress all evening. At Lincoln Center under the lights, I'm unafraid to sit outside in my inexpensive dress to enjoy a summer breeze and people watch!

Uniqlo
Retailers such as Uniqlo and Old Navy have spoiled me with their stylish collections of machine wash and dry dresses. Sans dry cleaning bills and maintenance, the extra time and money are mine to spend elsewhere. Or better yet, save!

For all these reasons I often grab my bargain dresses and leave the more affluent numbers at home, which is starting to fuel my buying practises. Perhaps I can forgo the cha-ching, cha-ching dresses? Looking nice on less suits me!

See: The Uniqlo printed sleeveless dress to the right can be dressed up with heels (or ballet flats) and a matching jacket, don't you agree?

How about you? Do you mostly dress fancy or casual smart on nights out on the town? Do you spend a little or a lot on clothing?


You may also enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    That Old Navy Swing dress would have been the perfect style to wear for our choir's Revue! I've bought an A-line dress from Last Call and loved wearing it with my Gogo boots and now it's with me on the boat!
    Lately, I'm wearing again more skirts and dresses... since a LONG time!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariette, Last Call is such a fun section to find great bargains. I paid $10 each for a dress and long, knit, 100% cotton sweater I wear all the time. I love my Old Navy spring and summer dresses.

      Delete