Monday, December 19, 2022

Should You Or Should You Not Buy Your Boss A Holiday Gift?

In the workplace sometimes a boss gives gifts to his/her staffers in appreciation for all their hard work. But as a general rule, an employee shouldn't buy his/her boss a holiday gift.🎁 

In the US, buying bosses presents is not common, nor expected, and sometimes frowned upon. No matter how much you like your boss, never forget your connection is primarily a business relationship, and you are the subordinate. In certain industries or positions, it could be interpreted as courting favor or a bride, especially if somebody at work is out to get you down the line. 
Companies worry about appearances and so should you. Sometimes corporate policies forbid it. You also want to avoid embarrassing your boss or causing other employees who live paycheck-to-paycheck discomfort by setting a precedent. What's more, I dislike the idea of asking everyone to chip in for a group gift for bosses because of the possibility of someone feeling pressure who can't afford it. If the office has petty cash available, it's fine to get approval for a group gift for the boss, but a better alternative is to get cookies, candies, or refreshments everyone in the department can partake in to build comradery.🎶

Feel free to give your boss a holiday card with a festive note you took time to write but it's also dicey unless one of you is leaving or you write a number of notes to a number of other employees too. I might share my homemade Christmas cookies, or if we have an especially good rapport, give a cute Christmas ornament costing around $10 (taking advantage of those early sales). It's a nice gesture for a boss who gives staff gifts but makes a big salary so s/he in no way needs a gift from a junior employee. Once I had a crafty assistant make me a handmade Christmas ornament, which was so thoughtful, time-consuming, and adorable I still have it years later.

You might also bend the rule if you work freelance and have a long-term, friendly, trusting relationship with no co-workers, office politics or misinterpretation to worry about. But even then good homemade cookies, candies, a craft, or just an inexpensive token gift with a lovely card is safer and gets the job done with aplomb.🔔


You may also enjoy:

5 comments:

  1. A good topic for discussion Debbie. Things have not changed so much since I was a young girl in the workforce: I sometimes received a gift from my boss, but as a low-paid secretary I admit I never thought of buying a gift in return! Once I received a Royal Albert bone china cup/saucer/plate trio. That was the best Christmas present ever, I thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never received a gift that nice, Trish! A vendor who didn't work in the office sent my a large crystal bowl from Tiffany I liked and still have, so it kind of counts. :) What a nice boss you had!

      Delete
  2. A nice card, hand signed (smudged ink is welcome here- adds authenticity) does the trick, I think. In the world of real gifts- which I've done, again- the very personalized card makes the difference so it does not look like a computer sent it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Barry, handwritten cards are the way to go.

      Delete