Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Stuff I Don't Bother to Buy Anymore


Zebra Plant
When I started working and earning wages there were a few commodities I always bought that I don't value or bother with anymore. Here are 5 of them:

1) Scented hand and body lotions - For years freesia was my signature scent. Today I've replaced all scented body and hand lotions with drugstore brands, namely CeraVe and Cetaphil Moisturizing Creams, and use them as all-purpose (from face to toe) moisturizers. I love both dermatologist-formulated, fragrance-free brands, so much that I don't need to buy anything else. I mainly stick with these two, although I like other drugstore moisturizers such as salves from Neutrogena, Palmers, and Aveeno to name a few. I've moved on from freesia also. If I want a scent, I dab on drops of genuine Bulgarian rose oil. 

2) Scented Candles - News stories warned us that synthetic fragrances usually contain phthalates that get released into the air as candles burn. Phthalates can be inhaled and dissolved into the skin. They get absorbed into the bloodstream to alter hormone levels and worsen asthma. Since it was reported, I don't bother buying candles. Then a careless hookah-smoking neighbor set her apartment on fire causing hardship and 4 maintenance hikes which were passed on to all the tenants in our building. Nowadays there's little joy in the thought of letting candles burn in my apartment.

These will stay on the runway.
3) Clothes - Although I continue my efforts to look polished, COVID has changed the world and me. I no longer aspire to be a fashionista. Apparel doesn't hold the same appeal or importance to me. Wearing coordinated and comfortable basics time and again is fine and dandy. No-fuss clothing I can machine wash, dry, and wear tempts me now.

Cute, but nope.
4) Shoes - Although I have shoes for every purpose: dressy heels, casual flats, supportive walking shoes, sporty sneakers, airy sandals, warm/rain/snow boots, and cozy houseshoes, my interest in new pairs only kicks in when something old wears out. 

5) House plants - One potted pathos sits in the corner of my living room. For a decade I also had an African Violet but after it died in its 10th year, I never replaced it. I also killed a Zebra plant, as well as, several Poinsettias over the years. At Christmas, I don't buy Poinsettias anymore. I'm fine with my only thriving greenery, a Golden Pathos.

A golden pothos 

Hmm, am I becoming an old fogey? Are there things you once bought regularly but over time seem to have grown out of bringing home and fooling with them?


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Definitely not an old fogey- just being practical. Marketers are always trying to fine-tune products around the edges- and then advertise those "enhancements". So just sticking with the core items is the way to go. I would say, however, that if you are buying gift items for others, then lean into "latest and greatest", even if just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Barry, when buying gifts for others, it's the time to spoil them a little.

      Delete