Like lots of women I sometimes browse make-up boutiques and the cosmetic counters of high end department stores. Sephora is like a candy store for grown women. But I'm just as happy to discover a quality skin care line or personal care item at a corner drug store. Drug store finds are convenient. Think one stop shopping. And, they are usually good values compared to their flamboyantly priced counterparts.
My picks are products that really work, as well as, measure up to their luxury cousins. They include:
1) Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream – The ad says it "hydrates better than European creams costing up to $700." While I don't know about that, I can verify it's an excellent overnight moisturizer -- with anti-aging amino-peptides.
2) Boots No 7 – This top selling skin care line in Great Britain is sold at CVS Pharmacies and Target here in the States [also Amazon]. The Intense Perfecting Serum is light and ultra moisturizing. It claims to "refine" and "rewind" the lines on your face.
3) Pentene Pro V shampoos and conditioners – The Beautiful Lengths variety is a new favorite I'm using to keep locks strong, healthy and long. [Update: For some insane reason, this wonder was discontinued. Closest formula to it is Pentene Color Hair Solutions: Color Pererve Smooth. Products for color treated hair are gentle and contain intense moisturizers.]
4) L'Oreal Cosmetics – L'Oreal owns the posher Lancome line too. – If you compare the product ingredients of each company, you'll notice the makeup is similar, if not identical, but L'Oreal costs substantially less. L'Oreal's mascara is one of the best.
5) Bourjois Cosmetics – is the sister company of Chanel, and although company executives deny a suspicion that the make-up comes from the same laboratories, I notice a striking resemblance in the lipsticks and eyeshadows. So if you're a fan of Chanel, give Bourjois a try and save a bundle.
Everyone needs good skin care, some hair TLC and a little make-up to look your best. What a fabulous feeling to save and splurge at the same time.