Sunday, November 6, 2022

I Can't Watch Mel In Melbourne Anymore

Rodeos, starting at $585+, are Hermès bag charms. Mel collects them.
It happened today. Finally, I deleted Mel In Melbourne's link from THE SAVVY SHOPPER'S sidebar.

Her many luxury buys on YouTube are starting to alarm me, and nobody is asking how she's paying for a ton of unboxings worth thousands and thousands of dollars each and every week! Her collection of the most exclusive luxuries easily adds up to 1/2 million dollars+, and yet every single week, she buys another Hermès, Chanel, Dior, or Louis Vuitton bag, outfit, jewelry, or pair of shoes. Then there are her repeated trips abroad to Hawaii, Dubai, South Korea, and Europe to shop while raising two children with a husband, who buys one Rolex watch after another. Something isn't adding up and IMHO it is a total lack of transparency.

Unless an ordinary person is in organized crime with luxury goods falling off the back of a truck, how does one pay for so many high-ticket items? It's a vital, indispensable part of the story that isn't being told. Therefore, the most interesting piece of the puzzle is missing leaving a huge hole in Mel's YouTube channel, and after a period of time, the unboxings get rather boring. I mean, what is the value to followers that Mel In Melbourne is, again and again, excited about acquiring yet another
Birken, Kelly, or Rodeo in a new color? It's insane!

Mel is an engaging influencer and if meeting her, I think I'd like her if she's anything at all like her YouTube persona. Also, I don't have to be a luxury bag collector myself to enjoy an informative browse, or to learn about luxury goods. Likewise, if visiting a mansion, I know I'm not a lord of the manor, and when looking at a Rembrandt, Van Dyke, or Van Gogh, I don't expect to tack the paintings up on my own walls. But more and more I'm becoming a minimalist of material goods for a myriad of reasons. For one, 1% of the world's population uses about 80% of the world's resources, while much of the world lives in abject poverty. In 2022 the number of people entering poverty is rising. The imbalance makes excessive, over-the-top spending not right! Dare I say even a little vulgar.

After watching a year of Mel's videos, her overconsumption is not aligning with my own values of being a more mindful shopper. I might indulge in a once-in-a-while splurge, but then stop buying after my need is met. I can't eat cotton candy every day of the week either!

IMHO, Mel must level with her viewers to stay relevant. I waited long enough for the answer to how she is able to afford her ongoing non-stop shopping sprees, plus I'd like to know why nobody else on social media talks about it? To boot, we only see the you-go-girl type of comments under her videos. Really?


You may also enjoy:

11 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Mel in Melbourne! Which shows I have not been paying attention... Anyway, she sounds decidedly suspicious, so good idea to delete the link. We do not want to encourage her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Initially I enjoyed her channel, but there's no moderation of spending, and it's dishonest to have the channel without telling folks where the money is coming from to pay for it all. It is time for her to get real with her viewers. Unboxing alone is too redundant.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with you - I have stopped watching her now. Another YouTuber with endless unboxings of extremely expense items that I’m also no longer watching is lVlover Cc

      Delete
    3. Welcome here Anon! I appreciate your comment as I love knowing what others think.

      Delete
    4. Why do you guys need to know where her money is coming from when it’s not yours? It’s very rude and disrespectful to ask that question. It’s like you think because you watch her that she needs to tell you all her entire business.

      Delete
    5. First of all, welcome to the blog, Anon! Where Mel gets her money to buy what adds up to be millions of dollars (or close to it) worth of luxury goods becomes a valid question because she is making her spending public and giving tips to millions of people on what to buy. She's not doing it quietly (where it would stay her business) but chooses to become an influencer to other people. So it becomes our business.How does one sustain that lifestyle? Transparancy also proves she's for real, and her lifetyle is not fiction, which she needs as an influencer. Finally, without being able to follow her lifestyle why should people becacome followers if not to buy what she promotes?

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you. What kind of values is she teaching her kids? To follow her obsessive overconsumption? I really hope they don’t follow in her foot steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, she lives in a middle class suburb in Melbourne. Her husband has a physio practice, surely they aren’t multi millionaires through that. Something doesn’t add up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear what other's think. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This is so incredibly stupid lmao. She doesn’t own you an explanation of where her money comes from and posting that kind of information on the internet can be dangerous. If you don’t want to watch her find but this article is so dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not agree with me. Certainly I don't think I wrote anything stupid. :)

      Delete