Thursday, September 22, 2022

Betsey Johnson Is One of A Kind

Betsey Johnson today at Macy's

Betsey Johnson, the Queen of Pop-Art Fashion, turned 80 years old this year on August 10th. She was part of Andy Warhol's and the Velvet Underground's scene, opening her 1st shop in 1969. Her retail stores (one was located in my Upper East Side neighborhood) have shut their doors, but she still designs clothes that sell in major department stores like Macy's. I admire her tremendously, and yet as a growing minimalist, I don't buy apparel that stands out to the extent that everybody notices every time I wear it. Where I think Savvy Shoppers can do especially well are her shoes and accessories to add brightness to our black and neutral shirts and dresses. A patterned tote or floral boots can make an outfit pop! What's more, you can also count on the designer for sparkle.

Certainly, the dresses in the top photo are fun and more subdued than the designer's usual bubble gum pink solids adorned with ribbons and bows that are lively and cheerful, yes, but not very grown-up or practical. The 1980s when Betsey Johnson's business exploded was more of an over-the-top time. By comparison, the 21st century has gotten more mindful, more pragmatic, less exorbitant, and theatrical. It's because we now want to own less but do more with it. Betsey seems to understand this and has expanded her collection to fit our more restrained era. 

Nonetheless, I like the playfulness and/or pazzazz of a Betsey Johnson creation. She uses comfortable, stretchy, easy-to-machine wash and dry fabrics, and many of her designs are super wearable. Some are timeless and all are one-of-a-kind like Betsey Johnson, herself. We can let Betsey do Betsey and easily adapt one of her fun-loving pieces to suit our own personal style. That bit of shimmer or pop of color keeps neutral shades from being boring!

Of course with her dresses, shoes and accessories, feel free to get as pop art crazy as you like. Happy 80th year and 53 years of success Ms. Betsey Johnson! Party on!🎉🥳


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. What a fun designer. I have never heard of Betsey Johnson, but I did a Google search and it looks like fashion that I would enjoy. The roses bag and the jewelled flats are appealing. The dresses look very skinny, maybe not for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I think I selected her tamer designs, as some of Betsey's clothes are quite girlish, which are fun one-off fun pieces to wear in your 20s, but I'm past the age. :) I wonder how a gal in her 80s stays so skinny, Tell us your secrets, B.J.!

      Delete