Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The French Slip Dress

Revolve

The French Slip Dress is a classic. Rumor has it every stylish French woman has a slip dress in her wardrobe and thus the name. The dress comes in different lengths and necklines ... and can be cut or styled to look elegant or playful.

VIR Girl

They also come in different colors and fabrics, although the most classic color and fabric are probably black silk ... with white silk a close 2nd.
ASOS 

Old Navy has its version of the French Slip Dress (below) which unfortunately I didn't see until it was no longer available in my size. I first spotted it online Christmas week, then went to the store to find it, and asked the manager: How did I manage to miss this dress when it arrived? He said the brick and mortar store only got a few of the dresses in and therefore hid them in an obscure place before they ended up in the discounted section for quick sales. What?!? Oh no!

Old Navy calls its version a Loose Vintage T-Shirt Midi Shift Dress, but it looks like a French Slip Dress to me. Instead of 100% silk, it's 100% cotton, and you can dress it up or down with shoes and accessories if your size is still in stock. Sorry I missed it. Next time around! The good thing about a classic is, it never disappears.
Uniqlo

Uniqlo's slip dress in its signature Airism fabric and built-in bra is a collaboration with fashion designer, Mame Kurogouchi, but I'm not a fan of a deep plunging neckline. It is simply a matter of personal taste. I tend to like more versatile necklines you can wear anytime and anywhere. Of course, a sweater or stole would hide a plunging neckline.

So it seems a classic is making a restyled comeback in 2022.


You may also enjoy:

4 comments:

  1. Wow, they are very chic indeed. I think my days of wearing such a dress are long gone! However, the Old Navy dress looks like a good one for me. The Uniqlo one is very sexy - looks like underwear to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, you made me smile! I see clothes in Midtown Manhattan I think look like underwear or it's cousins, pajamas and houseshoes. I gravitate towards casual smart, for example jeans and a nice t-shirt. Leggings can also look nice with a cardigan. Perhaps a generational thing ... and as I age, I like tidy yet easy to wear and clean. 🙂

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this useful information and keep writing this type post. Your post is very informative. I have read all your posts and all are very informative. Thanks for sharing and keep it up like this. You can know more please visit white slip dress.

    ReplyDelete