Thursday, February 15, 2018

Royal Engagement Rings: Let's Take A Look

When a royal couple gets engaged, count on seeing a gorgeous ring. Although diamonds are the hardest, most durable stones, there are plenty of diamonds in the world. Sapphires are rarer, which is why royalty often chooses a sapphire engagement ring. For fun, let's look at several famous royal rings: 

Kate Middleton (2011), now Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - A 12-carat sapphire with 14 diamonds that once belonged to fiancé Prince William's mother, Lady Diana Spencer (1981), is a favorite. The ring was picked from Garrard's catalog by Diana and reportedly was inspired by a sapphire brooch that Queen Victoria received on her wedding day from new husband Prince Albert that today is often worn by her great, great-granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II. I adore blue sapphires, and you don't need to be engaged to a prince to wear a royalty-inspired knockoff. Trust me! (In a window of a Madison Avenue jewelry store near my home sits a 12-carat Ceylon sapphire and diamond ring exactly like the royal engagement ring. I'm going to walk over there, wearing all my cheap imperfect jewelry, to try it on. Heck, yeah!! It's the one, I wanted to buy.😊)
Queen Elizabeth II (1947) - To make his betrothed, Princess Elizabeth of York's engagement ring, Prince Philip's mother, Princess Alice (née of Battenberg) who married Prince Andrew of Greece, gave her son one of her tiaras, a wedding gift she received from Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra (Romanov) of Russia. Princess Alice was Tsarina Alexandra's niece. Diamonds were removed from the tiara and reset into an engagement ring. The ring is a round 3-carat brilliant stone flanked by smaller pavé-set diamonds mounted into platinum.
Queen Victoria (1840) - On the right is the exquisite sapphire brooch that a century later inspired Lady Diana's engagement ring. On the left is Queen Victoria's engagement ring. Both were designed by Queen Victoria's fiancé, soon to be husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and presented to her for the wedding. The serpent is an ancient Roman symbol for everlasting love and seems to have been a popular motif for rings during the Victorian era. (It is not for me, I hate snakes!) Set in 18-carat gold, the serpent eyes are rubies, the mouth a line of diamonds and the large center emerald is Queen Victoria's (born May 24, 1819) birthstone. Prince Albert put a lot of thought into the Queen's wedding gifts!
Princess Eugenie of York (2018) - Queen Elizabeth II's granddaughter selected a 3-carat padparadscha pinkish orange glow sapphire, surrounded by diamonds for her engagement ring. It is an ultra rare sapphire. (Not that anybody asks, yet I always prefer blue.) Her own mother, Sarah Ferguson (1986) received a red ruby with diamonds engagement ring commissioned by Prince Andrew as a nod to her red hair. Newspapers wonder if Eugenie is trying to carry on a family color tradition. Only Eugenie knows.
Sarah's ruby and diamond engagement ring
Maghan Markle (2017) - A trio of 3 diamonds, one 2.5 cushion-cut central diamond with two round side diamonds to make 3 carats, set in yellow gold designed by her fiancé, Prince Harry, who used some of the jewelry once belonging to his mother, Diana, later the Princess of Wales.
It's always fun to look, write and gush over jewelry. 

Although sapphires are my favorite gems, I still prefer a traditional round-shaped (called a Tiffany setting) diamond as an engagement ring ... a BIG one, surrounded by smaller diamonds! Do you have a favorite stone.

19 comments:

  1. Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much about this, like you wrote the e
    book in it or something. I feel that you just could do with some % to power the message home a bit, but instead of that, that is wonderful
    blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anon! Hope you find something interesting, helpful or fun to read each time you stop by. Great to have you!!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debra,
    It is different if you are royalty and don't need to weed your won garden or clean the veggies and things we all need to do.
    No, I've never really liked anything with big stones or too flashy. I know that Americans somehow love diamonds, not so much for me.
    Hugs and happy Sunday to you!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariette, I know from the things you post, that you have great style and taste.

      Americans probably love diamond engagment rings because diamonds have become such a universal symbol for getting engaged, like wearing white to get married. Both are rather recent traditions (19th century), but now that they are traditions, difficult to give up. I like how diamonds sparkle, as well as how durable they are, one of the hardest stones, so you can wear them daily without scratching them as easily as other pretty stones ... a worry that royals don't share.

      Delete
  3. For engagement rings, I definitely love a diamond. In fact I have had two engagement rings (but only one husband!). The first was stolen in a house burglary in 1999, and I now have another with an even bigger diamond than the first one. In spite of my interest in her life, I never knew about Queen Victoria's ring before. It is far from appealing at any level to me - not only because I also hate snakes, but it looks like something to wear to a costume party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Trish, great minds think alike! First of all, I'm sorry you had the heartache of having your first engagment ring stolen. The sentimental value can never be replaced. But since you cannot undo what you have no control over, you did the next best thing, got a nicer, bigger ring to enjoy! And, a keeper of a husband. Good job, Mr. C. :)

      Delete
  4. I just could not leave your site prior to suggesting that I really loved the standard info a person provide to your visitors?
    Is going to be bacfk steadily to inspect new posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming. wholesale loose diamonds dallas

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wedding ring can have a different meaning to each couple at different times in their marriage. Wearing or not wearing a wedding ring does not really indicate the quality of a marriage anyway.
    Wedding Services

    ReplyDelete
  7. Engagement and wedding rings can come separately or in a set. Take her window shopping at a local mall or downtown area with several jewelers to discover what she likes.
    Event

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: cbd oil for sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayan, as long as you don't spam me with more ads for your business without contributing to the subject of the blog … here you are published. Come again for fun.

      Delete
  9. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    Moissanite rings Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. best CBD products

    ReplyDelete