Monday, August 12, 2019

Should You Shop At H&M?

H&M, which began in 1947, has grown into one of the world's leading fashion retailers. A store is within walking distance of my home, so I pop in quite often. But! Except for socks and hair scrunches, I buy little there. 
I think the merchant has super cute clothing, however, too often the dresses are too (mini) short (or granny) long; the fabric too thin; and the fabric-type too cheap to hold up. These reasons keep this frequent browser from becoming a frequent buyer of H&M's clothing. That said once in a while there are surprisingly wearable finds.
I own 4 of the above sleeveless fit and flare dresses (the one above included) which come out in different colors and patterns every spring, selling at $12.99 each. The dress is 100% polyester, which is good and bad: The fabric is not thin or see-through, therefore the dress transitions me from the spring into early summer. In early spring when temperatures can still be frosty, the dress layers well with leggings and a cashmere sweater. But once the heat of later June moves in, the same polyester fabric makes the dress too hot to wear. So the dresses stay in my closet until early autumn arrives. Although great to have 4 season-transitional dresses, if made in a substantial cotton (or linen) fabric, the same dresses could be worn throughout the summer.

So here is my assessment a/k/a the good and bad of H&M:
  • Chic, trendy and adorable style
  • Won't break the bank
  • Fabric that is often too thin or cheap to wear
  • Rising prices while quality stays the same
Who am I to argue with a business' massive success? Still I challenge H&M to give their ultra talented designers better fabrics (cotton, linen, wool) to work with and their customers better (more durable) clothing to wear. Since more pieces now appear on the racks costing $39.99 and $49.99, up the quality of the garments also. Until the quality of fabric and craftsmanship improves, personally, I only consider the $12.99 finds. (Btw, the 4 H&M $12.99 dresses of mine have lasted 4-5 years. They were bought a year apart.)
Finally, I appreciate the retailer's recycling initiative: Drop off any used textiles at H&M stores to receive 15% coupons for future purchases. In general too many fast-fashion buys is bad for the environment, so that too is an issue. Nonetheless, how wonderful the retailer makes recycling easy and rewarding for their customers to do. Readers, do you shop at H&M?


You may also enjoy:
Shopping At Zara    
The Urban Cowboy Look
Express Style: Classic With An Edge
Save On Summer Fashion Essentials

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    No, I have to go long distance as I cannot find one in walking distance like you are fortunate for having.
    It must be fun for just checking out what they've got and buy if you like something!
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mariette, you understand the art and fun of browsing! I do it all the time also at Urban Outfitters, T.J. Maxx and some of the high end stores on Madison Avenue. T.J. Maxx is the most tempting. Luckily I'm an under buyer. A fear of clutter keeps me in check.

      Also you look at consumer goods in a different way after watching this video, as you can't unhear nor unlearn the wisdom in it: https://thesavvvyshopper.blogspot.com/2010/09/story-of-stuff-review.html.

      Sending you hugs back! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I do shop occasionally at H&M and pop in often to see what is new. The quality of fabric is very variable I find, but usually quite poor as you say. I have a cotton shirt I love, it is going well after two years. However a green sweater I bought this year because I love the colour, is looking decidedly shabby already, and has just been removed from my travel packing list! I like your fit and flare dress, very cute indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you have the same eye as I, Trish. I have sometimes liked the style of a garment at H&M, but judged the material to be too flimsy to consider buying. At other times I knew the odd made-made fabrics would be too uncomfortable to wear, or saw that they wrinkled or won't machine wash well. I don't understand why the company has turned away from cotton -- it's not expensive; and the stores offered more cotton selections when they first opened here in NYC.

      After your experience with your green sweater, they've also created a leery customer, I bet. Not good for business, is it?

      Delete
  3. Do you know what I call H&M? Hit & Miss. It's true. I've had some big hits and instinctively shied away from what I know will be big misses. I have several pieces that have stood up really well from season to season while others have fallen apart. I buy only summer pieces and if it's more than $20, I won't buy it. Not worth it.

    Very good analysis, Debra.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "hit & Miss" nails it! Always look forward to reading your take on a post. You have excellent judgment and (when the subject calls for it) good insights.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Welcome to THE SAVVY SHOPPER gopipatel and thank you for your tips!

      Delete