Thursday, August 15, 2019

Timeless Coach Bags

Interior Couch photos courtesy of Yelp
Although it's fabulous fun looking at Chanel or Hermès bags costing thousands of dollars at high-end stores, many of us can't justify buying one. The money spent is several mortgage, or car payments plus! Moreover, it can take years of cock and bull hoops to jump over before buying the exclusive French manufactured bags; and they never, ever (like never!) go on sale. Who wants to deal with such nonsense?!
Today I'm featuring Coach, a straightforward American company, specializing in luxury handbags and accessories. Founded in 1941 on 34th Street in Manhattan, the merchant makes men's and women's bags, coats and jackets, footwear, jewelry, watches, eye wear, fragrance and small leather goods (like wallets, belts, luggage tags, etc.). The handbags are full grain, leather, expertly tanned and stitched. Bags are also available in fabric. For sure, Coach stands toe to toe with its French competitors for thousands of dollars less per piece. No rubbish to endure either. Just save up your money; walk into the store; buy your bag; and leave with it. Ok as an American, I am biased ... but isn't that the way it should be? As a paying customer, I'm not groveling and won't wait years to buy a handbag.
At around $350 (or $450 for top handle/shoulder Tabby  bags), Coach bags aren't cheap, yet unlike the French bags, customers can find bargains. Not only do Coach bags go on sale, (at Coach!) they are sold at outlet stores and T.J. Maxx for less. What's more, they start at prices people who work can save up for if paying full price. Of course Savvy Shoppers find deals!
I bought my first Coach bag at a discount store (now defunct) when I was 16 years old (for $20) before I knew what a Coach bag was. What I saw was a pretty, full grain leather bag I could afford! That was decades ago, and I still own the bag. They are nearly indestructible. In my youth, I definitely didn't take good care of my handbags. My Coach bag got the same workout as a dedicated mailman: Used in rain, heat, sleet and snow but still looks good enough to use today.
Couch "Cassie" crossover bag, the newest launch with interor compartments and pockets.
I notice Coach bags are even more stylish than they photograph. Up close you see the craftsmanship and quality of the smooth, thick leather. The bags are modern and classic.
When in Manhattan I highly recommend visiting the Couch flagship store at 685 5th Avenue. Friendly staff invite visitors to float through the spacious tri-level store, sometimes with leather work in progress on the 2nd floor. The leather worker will customize your bag with a few embellishements at the store if you wish. And look for the huge Coach dragon (see above) created with hundreds of Coach bags on the ground floor.🦖


You may also enjoy:
It Pays To Give Old Things A New Life  
Echo Scarves Are Nearly Hermès Perfect
Playtime At Bergdorf Goodman's Chanel Boutique
5 Of Manhattan's Best High End Consignment Shops

11 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    Coach is a great producer of quality leather pieces and you are absolutely right about the pricing.
    Sending you hugs and wishing you a happy weekend!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do own several Hermès bags, which I prize, but, yes, you do have to jump through hoops to get them. I didn't. My husband did, to get them for me. I did a post about that a few years ago. But....I digress. I do own several Coach bags and wallets, all of which I love and use. I have a special favorite handbag in aubergine suede that I adore. It came w/a brush to keep it looking its best, but, honestly, it's been through all sorts of weather and still looks perfect. I am a big Coach fan.

    Great post, Debra. Lots of useful, common sense info. Thank you so much,

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marie-Thérèse, you will have all of your lovely bags for the rest of your life!

      It's amazing how the Coach bags do not scratch easily. Not true I hear of the newly launched Dior 30 Montaigne bag, which I featured in a May, 2019 blog. The leather looks sturdy like a Coach (I went to Dior to handle it), but with such a high price point, I can't figure out why it is made so delicate. I couldn't tell in the store it was delicate, but I understand that the main reason for customer returning them has been getting their bag delivered with scratches. It would make me not want the bag. You'd be afraid to use it!

      Delete
    2. If a bag can't stand up to daily (i.e., hard) use, what good is it? LOL!!

      M-T

      Delete
    3. Exactly! I'd be upset to not use and enjoy a bag I decided to splurge on. In fact, I no longer care to own anything that doesn't get taken out and used. Lately, my focus is to get rid of most "just in case items" also! The stuff you store in the back of the closet "just in case" you need it at a later time.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Agree. They are pretty. Thanks for stopping by, Giancarlo!

      Delete
  4. I have never owned a Coach bag, let alone a Chanel! However, now I have read about it, I think I shall aspire to Coach, and start looking around on my upcoming travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love Coach bags when you find them, Trish! Another reason to float this way into NYC. :)

      Delete