Monday, June 7, 2021

Trendy Maxi Dresses For Summer

Currently I see very long -- to-the-ankle -- maxi summer dresses for sale in all the shops. At every price point the maxi dress is making a comeback as the newest fashion trend of 2021. 

I don't mind if other people wear the long length, yet as a gal who walks all over Manhattan, I'm not embracing it. It's too confining, and I don't like the feel of my knees hitting fabric as I walk all over the city. Plus, I'd clean the sidewalks with a maxi dress. 

Furthermore, I'm not a fan of a sleeveless, backless long, long, long dress. It's a personal quirk of mine as I dislike the unbalanced look of it. Also if it's hot enough to wear sleeveless and backless dresses to cool off, is it not too hot to cover up your legs to the ankles? Doesn't the season and temperature dictate uniformly whether to cover or uncover all of you? Why would you want legs covered with a clump of fabric on a sizzling August day, or a bare back on a nippy one? Wouldn't the cloth be wanting or not airy enough on the top or bottom ... one of the areas, um insufficient half of the time? Just asking.
Photos: Right - Vineyard Vines; Left -  Marimekko for Uniqlo

On the bright side: The new maxi trend is great for my budget; there's no temptation to add the dress to my summer wardrobe. The only one of the examples posted, I'd likely not be bugged wearing is the Vineyard Vines dress ... it looks to be a tad shorter than ankle length although one customer returned it, saying the bottom was too much dress for her. So it's risky too as I trust her review! You want to wear a dress, not have a dress wearing you!
Photos: Old Navy

Another fear of mine is these very long dresses will look dated by next summer. I don't see the pioneer ankle length lasting beyond 2021.

Why do you think everyday dresses are going to the ankle now? Are you a fan of the summer maxi dress?

👗👠🩳🥿👅

Just for fun, I'll list 5 wardrobe pieces you'll never see me buy or wear (not to be mistaken as judgment of others. Fashion is subjective.):

Photo: Soft Serve
1) Everyday summer sleeveless and backless maxi dresses (the subject of today's blog👆).

2) Loungewear/terrycloth/sweats - Are you kidding me? Where exactly do they look good? Not at home. Not at the gym. Not in a supermarket. Not at Walmart. Nowhere. These are nothing more than thick pajamas worn after your day should have already started!

Photo: Ugg
3) Ugg Fluff Yeah Slides - So popular I see women wearing them up and down 5th Avenue. Who began this fashion trend out in public? $100 house shoes, people! Wouldn't you rather spend the money on Ugg boots or a proper pair of walking sandals for running about New York City? You're wearing your house shoes outside the house, people!

4) I'm very much alone with this next one: Although I don't mind a feminine dipping neckline in a dress or ball gown, I would never, ever wear a gown with the cleavage split down past my breasts. Another personal quirk since the open, deep, V-cut, missing cleavage style is so prevalent on red carpets with the made-to-measure couture Oscar dresses. I don't understand it ... where's the missing front of the dress? 
Don't get me wrong! I love Amanda Seyfried, the image I'm using. Mega talented; and on talk shows she's delightful with a great sense of humor and down-to-earthness in her interviews. Although I dislike the deep dive of her gown, she still looks beautiful! For the cost of the dress though, she should  have gotten all the fabric!🙂
Photo: BBC

5) Ripped, torn, worn out denim - No, no, never, ever, un, un, un! This is when I replace blue jeans. I'm not paying good money to buy 'em this way.

Feel free to chime in with your style likes or dislikes. Agree or disagree?


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. I agree, a maxi dress is not good for street wear - but I like to have one for a social occasion. Last year I made one in Autumn colours, and wore it to a few parties. The Uniqlo one is pretty, and has been on a model in our local Uniqlo for a few weeks. However, I also thought it much too bare at the top. (btw, we are in the middle of Winter here!) I did buy a Marimekko tee dress for next Summer, very pretty. Total agree with your list of 'Never Wears" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your take on these things, Trish. As you sew + have great tastes!

      Delete