Monday, June 21, 2021

A Better Aperol Spritz, The Drink Of The Summer

Photo: New York Times
Everywhere there is outside dining in Manhattan I see this sunset-colored orange drink. Yesterday as I passed the Mark Hotel's fancy outside linen tables I pulled the waiter aside to ask, "What's everybody drinking?" His answer: Aperol Spritz!" 

He asked if I'd like to have one. "Thanks," said I, "I never sit and drink alone, not even at home. I'll return with a friend." The gracious man understood. 

Meanwhile out of intellectual curiosity (isn't it why you're interested too?😋), I had to google the cocktail. According to the New York Times, it's become the drink of the summer, as well as, an instagram hit after Campari, the maker of Aperol, launched a successful marketing campaign. Yet according to the publication, Aperol is too sweet, not a bitter enough aperitif (a before dinner beverage to stimulate appetite) and therefore, not the ingredient to use for the best version of this popular Italian spritzer. Instead use any of the following superior bitters ...
Photo: New York Times - click to go there or enlarge

Another necessity is to use good champagne or sparkling wine. Never mix cocktails with inferior ingredients that taste less than great if you were to consume them straight. Advise I hear often even in cooking!

For this in favor Italian Spritz you can use a delicious Prosecco. I've never tried the NYT's high brow quality sparkling wine suggestion - pétillant naturel. But hey, if you have it at home or wish to hop to the wine store, opt for it!

This is an ultra easy cocktail to make at home. For the most delicious spritz I've consulted several sources to learn you always use a 3:2:1 ratio of: 3 parts dry, tasty Champagne or sparkling wine: 2 parts aperitif (bitters): and 1 part carbonated (soda) water. 

So let's turn this ratio into a refreshing recipe, shall we? - per serving: 

Best Italian Aperol Spitz

Ingredients:

3 ounces brut Champagne or dry sparkling wine
2 ounces aperitif (go with bitter, not sweet)
1 ounce club soda or plain sparkling water

Directions: 

1) Start with ice cold ingredients and have ice on the side. Heck, ice the glass before you start too!

2) Pour the ingredients in the order and ounces into a glass (or pitcher). Give it a stir and pour over ice in a glass.

You can garnish with an orange slice (or olive) if you wish.

So readers, here's your chance to sip a better Aperol Spitz, the drink of the summer, by following this simple recipe, as well as, saving the $30 bucks charged by the Mark Hotel. You're welcome! I love you too!!😍

Thank you, New York Times for the nitty-gritty tips (article linked)!


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. I rarely drink alcohol, however I do love an Aperol Spritz on a special occasion. One of my daughters in law makes a perfect version. So delicious on a Summer's day. Or any day - am going out for lunch tomorrow, maybe I will have one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so ignorant when it comes to cocktails. The whole world seems to have known about this spitz before I did. Bottoms up, Trish!

      Delete