Thursday, October 6, 2022

Live As An Under Buyer

Today I'm playing a game called all the jewelry I'd buy at Macy's if I wasn't a mindful, Savvy Shopper. Sometimes I play this game at Tiffany, Hermès, Bergdorf Goodman, Chanel, Saks, or any number of retailers with upscale merchandise, but today let's play the game of jewelry web shopping at Macy's. 

Most of us have the good sense not to spend a million dollars for a piece of jewelry since it's much more than many of us could ever pay off. The temptation is greater for things we perceive as stretching our budget -- yes -- that we could somehow, someway reach with effort and a dose of wishful thinking. Nevertheless, if we are not realistic, mindful, savvy shoppers such pricey luxury buys will land us into credit card debt.

THE SAVVY SHOPPER way requires separating our wants from our needs. Sure we can splurge occasionally, but as a general rule, be an under buyer and seldom, rarely, or never become an impulse buyer. So often impulse buys are emotional purchases triggered when we are bored, stressed, or blue. Don't let regret, waste, clutter, or debt follow a day of retail therapy! Frequently going for a walk or exercising will lift our moods just as much as an impulse buy. Luckily I'm an under buyer because my walks take me to T.J. Maxx!
😊

What's more, the sibling of impulse buying is buying more than what we need. Buy enough (sometimes called creating a capsule of clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.), not more than enough. It's likely my small New York City apartment keeps me in line by giving me the disciple to not bring home beautiful things I don't really need, but only think I do when standing in front of it.
 
Falling for beautiful, impractical and yet ultimately useless things will clutter up your home before you realize it! Always value your space as much as anything you put into it. To look its best a room needs the right ratio of space to furniture. Every nook and corner need not be filled with stuff whether it's furniture, clothes, handbags, shoes, nick-nacks, or even jewelry.

Moreover, it won't do your bank account any favors. COVID has taught us the importance of having an emergency fund for food and bills. As much as I love jewelry, I browse 99.99% of the time and buy .01% of the time. And the very few pieces I splurge on are well within my budget. Moreover, I know where to compromise: The stones are eye clean and not the biggest, most flawless, or most translucent stones I desire. At Tiffany, I only browse as its colored gemstones are the top of the line (i.e. budget-busters for regular people), and at other retailers, I'm still selective!

Over to the right is a gorgeous 4 7/8 t.w. carat emerald and diamond (1/2 carat diamond) ring I love and visit whenever I go to Macy's Herald Square, but any stone over 2 carats gets very pricey, so it stays at Macy's for me to peer at occasionally. The diamond stud earrings (↑above left) are called martini studs as the setting looks like martini glasses, and in my fantasy, I'd buy 4-carat studs, however, too expensive for me to undertake! [For the look, check out this white sapphire pair instead. Not affiliated with this blog, only a tip.]

Being financially responsible means focusing on the big picture: Your financial security. 
Separating your wants from your needs helps you to spend what you must and save what you should. Staying out of debt gives you more money to cover tomorrow's essentials. Plus freedom. Freedom from worry. Freedom from working just to pay bills. Freedom from losing your home.
All of today's featured pieces are classic and very wearable temptations. Although not buying, I love them all. Planning a splurge every now and then is fine if you are mindful (consider how often you'd wear it) and make the splurge one you can afford. Finally, if considering a purchase, think capsule, not collection. Stop buying after reaching enough! We don't need more than enough.


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Walked thru Macy's earlier this afternoon- jewelry display seemed bright and sparkly- I had to hustle due to train schedule, but it looked nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to do, Barry! They have a good selection on mid-priced jewelry. Around Christmas a Macy's jewelry trunk show is fun to attend. They are hosted by various vendors to Macy's and then the price points are wild (bigger and higher priced stones).

      Delete