Tuesday, November 2, 2021

A Jewelry/Luxury Buying Mindset: Rule #5 Is Don't Buy Pretty

An example of a pretty I don't buy, but what a temptation of emeralds, white and black diamonds in 14k gold.

YouTube Luxury Mavens talk about their collections. Often I find the amounts they spend and especially the quantity they continue to unbox alarming! Where does it stop? At $100,000!? $200,000!? $500,000!?! Even if you earn highroller-level money, when is enough ... enough?

Today I'm using my rules on when to purchase jewelry as a guide for describing a mindset that applies to buying all luxury goods for anyone on a budget. Think of luxuries as big-ticket items we love but don't need. Hard as it is to believe, I love💙, but don't need this gorgeous tanzanite and diamond ring over to the left! It's so pretty!!!😍

We're not millionaires, and luxury goods nearly always cost us more than what we make in a week ... or a month! We have to save up to own a piece here and there, therefore I'm super selective on what and when to part with a chunk of change. Plus I put a cap on the amount I'm willing to drop on a single luxury good. It's a splurge, not an essential or an investment (as you'll never get the full value of what you pay if you have to sell it). So let's begin ...

The Jewelry/Luxury Goods Buying Mindset -- the rules explained:

1) Don't collect - You don't need a collection. Pick a few articles of fine jewelry you really love that can be mixed and matched, plus worn daily, as well as, to galas. A person on a budget can't afford signature rings or necklaces that stay inside a box except for a few days a year. After saving and sacrificing to buy a piece you love, be sure you get your money's worth by being able to wear it often instead of storing it away.

2) Discriminate - Figure out WHAT you really love (white, yellow, or rose gold); your favorite gemstones; and forgo everything else! Don't buy fashion jewelry. Save up for fine jewelry and buy only the gemstones, size, and style you most relish. You won't miss everything-else!

3) Stick with the classics - Usually, you won't get your money's worth in terms of how often you wear cute animal motifs or signature rings, earrings, bracelets, or necklaces. They're for people with more disposable income who can afford impulse buys and surpluses of fine jewelry ...  folks with crazy surplus money.😄 Savvy Shoppers on a budget focus on a capsule of classic jewelry to be worn nearly anytime and anywhere.

4) Never settle on the "c" (cut, carat, color, or clarity), the main detail most important to you - Save yourself the cost of having to size up or rebuy jewelry because you compromised your true love away. Don't buy a tiny gemstone if you really want a big rock. Likewise, don't pull the trigger on the wrong gemstone, say ... a blue topaz, if it's really sapphires that make your heart sing. Save up for your true loves of attraction like a bigger carat weight or your most loved gemstone.

And of course, be realistic: I adore the quality of the diamonds, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds sold by Tiffany & Co., but can't afford more than a minuscule size of Tiffany-top-quality gemstones. But! I'd be terribly unhappy with the carat sizes of stones I'd have to bring home after spending a ton of money there. I understand myself well enough to know I don't want to pay top dollar for a teeny-tiny gemstone. Always at Tiffany, my true loves of attraction are their HUGE flawless, solitaire stones -- the 5+ carats of diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and tanzanitestherefore I can look without temptation, despite the beauty and glitter blinding me! This leads us to my 5th rule ...

5) Don't buy pretty - I love all gemstones but only own a few. I don't have opals, tanzanites, alexandrites, yellow diamonds, black diamonds, red or green garnets, and a slew of other pretty jewels in my "collection" because I have a capsule, not a collection. Personally, since I can't afford every spectacular stone, adding a piece over the years to my capsule doesn't include the softer more delicate gemstones, nor the most expensive stones per carat. Alexandrite is one of my birthstones, yet it's too pricey per carat for my consideration. As mentioned, I refuse to spend big money on a tiny stone! So I own my other birth gem, pearls for much less. I did not do without; did not go broke; do not use spectacles to see it; still ended up with beautiful birth month jewelry.

All of the Effy jewelry uploaded today are beautiful pieces I do not own for various reasons cited in the blog. If not selective, I'd be happy with all of the uploaded pieces. Ooh and ahh, Mr. Effy!😍 The tanzanite and diamond ring above, costing $14,250, proves how more often than not, I don't buy pretty.

Amethyst, sapphire, and tsavorite stones.

In summary: A luxury buy is always about loving, not needing a costly material thing. Owning "it" should result in a happy dance every time you touch it. Discriminate. Don't settle. Create a capsule, not a collection. Buy your true love (the gold, carat, gemstone) even if it takes longer to save up for "it"; then don't waste your money by keeping the purchase in a box/closet/safe. 

And finally a bonus rule: If you love "it" too much or not enough to wear after "it" is yours, sell it! By keeping "it" in a drawer, you've wasted the money spent, so try to recoup what you can.


You may also enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for writing this fantastic article! We can all gain a lot of helpful information here. Jewelry is an appealing item that everyone enjoys wearing, particularly women. I also enjoy wearing various types of jewelry. I'm always on the lookout for new fashion trends. The latest women's fashion jewelry online is available easily.

    ReplyDelete