Wednesday, November 10, 2021

When Time Marches On Without Us


In Manhattan we walk a lot ... all around town. From its inception, 
New York City was transient and in flux with businesses opening and closing frequently. Nowadays I notice new businesses seldom have a clock on their walls. Likewise, old clocks are disappearing from public spaces and streets, and I don't like it one bit. I miss having huge historical clocks in prominent places!

I realize everyone, along with their mothers and brothers and grandpas, have cell phones to tell the time, but I'm not one to carry a phone in my palm at all times. I leave it inside my purse, and I'd rather nonchalantly glance up at a big clock to keep track of the day. 

Additionally, I love the charm of seeing old timepieces in strategic places where crowds of people congregate. What will our 21st-century history and relic be for the future? 

As a customer inside an establishment, I like having a clock to look at while waiting for my turn to be served. Lovely and functional decor for customers and employees alike ... no?

My cousin is upset because his kids can't tell time by the hands of a clock as it's not even taught in schools anymore!

Furthermore, it would be disorienting for me to work in an office without a clock. Although at my places of work, I've always had clocks available, I wear my watch to work just in case. While working, I'd never want to give the wrong impression, I'm counting the minutes to leave the office by repeatedly taking out my phone to check the time, but gee whiz, I'd be equally unhappy spending the workday clueless about the hour. I like to know what time it is!

Also if I'm having a coffee, drink, or dinner with a friend, I want to know what time it is without raising an incorrect suspicion that I'm bored or in a hurry to leave. Again, I'd rather 
nonchalantly look up at the clock on a wall. These days I have to sneak a peek at my wrist.

No mister! No sister!! I don't need to get home soon. I just need to know what time it is  ... at all times!😁

Have you noticed how difficult it has gotten to find a clock in public; or as you pass by its window, the wall of a newly opened business? Where have all the clocks gone? I hope and pray, not long time passing. Say it isn't so!!



You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment