Monday, June 24, 2013

Great Find, Greek Wine

871 Seventh Avenue (between west 55th & west 56th Streets)
Recently I was invited to a wine tasting held at a lovely Greek restaurant called Molyvos in Manhattan. Not only did I discover three excellent wines, I plan on returning to the restaurant for dinner. This Aegean bar/cafe offers a relaxing, warm atmosphere with toothsome dishes. Those of us at the event were served generous portions of salmon, shrimp and spicy meatballs in red sauce to go with the wine we sampled. The meatballs were tender and juicy, and the tomato sauce, garden-fresh. Tasty!

Regarding the wine, I can't give ratings like those in Wine Spectator (i.e. "93 points unblind") because I'm a wine ignoramus ... and c'mon, that would sound highfalutin ridiculous. But ... I know what I like. So suffice it to say, all three Greek wines are delicious! Even the red wine tastes smooth, not unpleasantly dry or bitter.

People who think they dislike red wine are probably tasting tannins -- organic substances which naturally exist in the skins, seeds and stems of grapes.* There is a higher concentration of tannins in red wine than white wine, because red wine is fermented with its grape skins and seeds. However, red wine has health benefits that white wine lacks, and you can find red wine, which doesn't taste bitter (or high in acidity) like the Wishes Eratines label here. 

The wine is produced by Eklektikon, from the Pieria Eratini vineyards, a region located at the foothills of Mount Olympus. The Greek winery was founded in 2006 by oenologists Pavlos Argyropoulos and Andreas Pontas. The wines to try are:

Wishes Eratines White Dry Wine - Rich with good body.

Wishes Eratines Red Dry Wine - Smooth and fruity, not bitter.

Blink Brut Sparkling Wine - Refreshing, crisp and perfect for summer.

Their website says, "No poem was ever written by a drinker of water." How cute!

Wine connoisseur and author, Jay McInerny, once told me, there is no wrong way to drink wine. Chill the red if you like it that way.  (And I do.)

Trust your palate.

The wines are a great find. Tastings are fun! By the end of the evening, I found myself sitting around with the company's reps, speculating about what "ambrosia" and the "nectar of the Gods" are. Eh??? I've wondered for years. Could they be wine and honey? I don't really know. What do you think they are?

*source: Wine For Dummies

You may also enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. Mavrodaphne is the ultimate Greek wine. I like AVRA on 48 Street, East side, also hoping to try new place NERA on East 54 near Madison. Nectar of the Gods (sort of)

    ReplyDelete