Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Picture This: On Vacation With Nothing To Wear

Let's play a game. You are a traveler ... but the airline has lost you bags and you have nothing to wear on your vacation. Where would you shop for clothes and what articles would you buy?

I'll go first: Whether the season is winter or summer, I'd hot-tail it over to Uniqlo, one of my favorite retailers for basics and casual wear. I know I'd find ... quality, style, and a few bells and whistles that won't break the bank. So it-being-the-summer here in the USA, here are several pieces I might buy:

1) The Uniqlo Bra Dress (top photo) - Frankly, I love the style and own 5 of the dresses already. Every year Uniqlo partners with a famous fashion house to design the new season's floral patterns. Yet, they always have the bra dress in stock at the store. The bra dresses range from knee length to midi. Some have sleeves, while others are sleeveless. I own the above Studio Sanderson For Uniqlo Bra Dress, which I bought this past June. Other floral patterns and colors exist from the collection too.
2) Cashmere Big Stole - I'd probably select this stole over a cardigan for its versatility. Could be used to drape over your shoulders, or to lay on your lap during chilly evenings, or on your flight home. Available in 12 colors including neutrals. Wow, so easy to fold and pack away too. Nonetheless, Uniqlo cardigans are also lovely and useful.
3) Uniqlo Bra Top - Love the bra tops as much as I do the bra dresses. In the summer, I wear them as tops with shorts. In the winter, I wear them as camisoles under my dresses. Great with leggings at the gym also.
4) Ultra Stretch Jeans - Full length or cropped and in several washes (light, medium or dark). Lightweight and soft too. Machine wash and dry to clean, it's a no brainer.
5) Packable Parka - Has a hood; pockets; and is water-repellent should it rain while you are on your trip. Like all the Uniqlo basics, these come in many colors. I often get navy or black to go with all my dresses and pants. However on vacation, perhaps I'd get wild and crazy with a color!

So how did I do? Where would you shop, and what would you buy?


You may also enjoy:
A Summer Of Stripes
Summer Gingham Ideas
Pardon My Back Summer Dresses   
Save On Summer Fashion Essentials

9 comments:

  1. What a fun game to play. I like your choices, and if there was a Uniqlo available, I'd probably go there too. I have bought a few more pieces from them over the last six months; they seem to have different things in Australia from what you have shared with us. Particularly the packable parka - have never seen them, but would love one. I have done a bit of emergency shopping at COS, in London, Berlin and Prague, on different occasions. They have funky low price fashions, which generally don't need an iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I knew you'd love Uniqlo. So happy it opened in Brisbane for you. I love how they are several steps up from fast-fashion, so though inexpensive, their clothes last.

      I have heard of COS, but haven't seen one here yet. Hope to check them out sometime.

      After writing a post, I always look forward to hearing your thoughts on the topic. One of my rewards for writing the post. Thanks for chiming in, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debbie,
    Never heard of Uniqlo but it looks good and the fabric content is nice as well.
    It depends where you are traveling, if you leave the country it becomes more problematic for finding something quick...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, you'll get a Uniqlo soon because you will love it! Indeed, dear Mariette, it depends on where you are. To play the game, it's a perfectly fine to share a retailer you discovered while on a previous trip in London or Montreal or Paris, etc. Here is the USA, don't forget about Walmart and Target -- you'd be surprised at the clothing you can find there in a pinch ... and still have money to spend on tours, food and fun.

      Delete
    2. I am a bit of an outlier when it comes to travel clothes. I tend to travel to Europe in the cooler/winter months for operas and concerts, which means I have to dress appropriately. We are currently planning an opera trip to Vienna for November. That said, when I was in Paris two years ago to cheer on a friend running in the Paris marathon in April it turned out to be unexpectedly warm, so most of the clothes I packed were too heavy. I ended up byying three or four summer tops at H&M on the Champs-Elysées that I still wear and love that were super cheap and super cute. Unfortunately, I am really tiny (97 lbs on a heavy day) and so finding clothes to fit is not that easy, but H&M worked well for me on that occasion.

      I do like your choices, especially the Uniglo bra dresses which are really great. I'll have to check and see if they have my size.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
    3. Oh Marie-Thérèse, you are in luck. Uniqlo began in Japan where traditionally, there are small-in-stature women compared to many Americans. I remember when they opened, their leggings and trousers were a tad too short for me. They have expanded their sizes now, and it's not the case, but this is to say, I think they will have your size.

      I would love to go to H&M in Paris. On the Champs-Elysées, the retailer would have to step up their game. French women expect quality and won't buy clothes that are merely trendy.

      I thought of you a few weeks ago. Maison Kayser opened in 2 locations in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. For the 1st time I met up with someone I know there and had a hot mochaciino (coffee) with a serving of moccarcino (chocolate mousse cake with a coffee center). It was delicious and worth the calories. But I won't do that again soon. Too many calorie. Also in my own neighbor, I like to make coffee at home. Far away from home, when I need to rest my feet and take in the sights, is when I most value stopping for a cup of coffee. We don't really have cafes where everybody knows your name, so that draw is missing. But it was a delicious treat!

      Delete
    4. So flattered you thought of me and Maison Kayser at the same time. I get a Newsletter via email "French Morning," which is in French but dedicated to expats living in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Maison Kayser was voted by French expats as having the best baguettes in the City. I have to agree. They are fabulous!! How lucky you are to have 2 Maison Kayser establishments so close to home. Oh, and BTW, don't pass up their Madeleines -- to die for!

      Will definitely check Uniglo. They might have my size. Thanks for the tip.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
    5. Oh thanks for the recommendation. I'd be sure to try both!

      Delete