Thursday, May 21, 2015

DIY: Drop Cloth Curtains


Photo: Cupcakes And Curls
On Saturday afternoons I often watch a home remodeling show called Knock It OffEach week two home decorators, Monica and Jess, meet a family on a tight budget to makeover a room. The decorators think of creative ways to renovate and spruce up the area, spending much less than it would normally cost. As you might expect, it usually involves a few Do It Yourself projects to save money.

Lacking their carpentry skills, I could never achieve their results, but I still enjoy watching the show. Who doesn't love a makeover?

Photo: beneathmyheart.net
One of their clever ideas is to make a curtain out of a canvas drop cloth. Think of it as a poor man's linen, the steps are easy: Order a drop cloth. Buy some suitable ring clips. Measure, hem and iron the drop cloth. Attach the clips, and presto: Chic, long, sturdy curtains for just a few bucks. Wow, you save hundreds of retail dollars!
Photo: bhg.com
I think the oatmeal curtains are lovely in their natural, rustic state. However a person with some talent could get creative by stenciling and painting the drop cloth to match a room or furniture. 

As it turns out, there are whole Pinterest boards with color and pattern ideas devoted to all things drop cloth. Who knew? This is one DIY project I believe I could pull off if I apply myself. The curtains are perfect for many homes.

You may also enjoy:
Buy Flowers For Less
A Party At Ryan's Daughter
How Much Should You Spend To Store Your Stuff?     
Aboard The Underground Railroad: A Picture book In Verse

3 comments:

  1. Makes a lot of sense. If you have a thick fabric- probably blocks out a lot of the AM light- a concern for not-so-good sleepers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the makeover shows too, Debra. The drop sheet idea is great; maybe I should check out the drop sheets in Australia - I don't know what sort of fabric they are. I have some natural cotton curtains which need replacing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia,

      If you make your curtains, please post a photo. You make such lovely dresses, I know your curtains would be beautiful! The drop cloth I linked the blog to as an example is 100% thick cotton. Not all are. Also, they seem to come in different sizes, so you should be able to find what you need.

      Delete