Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Plantar Fasciitis Relief Shoe Insoles

The pain of plantar fasciitis is caused by inflammation after tiny tears occur in the plantar fascia, the tissue that connects our heels to our toes. These tiny tears are very painful and slow to heal.


Suddenly in November 2023, I  could barely walk! One day I walked without pain, the next day I limped!! Plantar fasciitis had developed in my right foot. Friends and friends of friends who also have the condition have gotten better. So I tried to make myself better. I pulled out a pair of custom orthotics a podiatrist had made for me years earlier which were so chunky I couldn't fit them into ANY of my leather shoes. They lay dormant collecting dust. I started wearing them in my cloth houseshoes around the house. The practice worked as long as I didn't leave the house.

So I began looking for orthotic insoles much like custom orthotic insoles that would fit into my shoes to wear outside of my home on city pavement.  

The following are 2 brands of orthotic insoles that ease pain and fit into my shoes. I'm listing them in the order of which I wear the most:

1) Samurai Insoles Ninjas Plantar Fasciitis Relief Arch Support Shoe Insoles - The insole was designed by Dr. Tom Lembo, a board-certified podiatrist. It supports my arches and absorbs shock by having a bit of bounce when my feet hit the concrete. They are 3/4 length and made of durable polypropylene (hard plastic), so they won't smell, get wet, or wear out. They go under the factory insoles of a pair of shoes if removable, otherwise, just insert them inside your shoes. These are slim and will fit into your narrower shoes.

2) PCSsole’s 3/4 Orthotics Shoe Insoles High Arch Supports Shoe Insoles for Plantar Fasciitis - The 2nd option of insoles is hard like super expensive custom orthoticsA 3.5 cm (1.38 inch) EVA high arch provides arch support to reduce the pressure on the heel. More similar in structure to custom-made orthotics than insole #1, wearing these insoles takes some getting used to before they feel comfortable. Wider than insole #1, they fit in sneakers and most shoes, and are as effective as my custom orthotics.

Although not completely pain-free, I can now walk again. The pain is less intense which I hope means my plantar fasciitis is healing. I suspect I'll need to wear orthotic insoles for the rest of my life.

For sure, if you develop plantar fasciitis, you need to find orthotics that are several grades above $10 drugstore orthotics. Also, I can't say based on personal experience that custom-made orthotics do a better job. Non-custom orthotics have come a long way in recent years! I'd recommend spending $29 on non-custom orthotics to see if they alleviate your pain before ordering $300 custom orthotics since custom orthotics may not give you more support or relief. You'll also need more than one pair unless you want the inconvenience of removing them each time you change shoes.

Moreover, I've seen custom orthotics you can buy by pressing your feet into a mold outside of visiting a podiatrist, which I think is a waste of money. If you're spending $100 - $200 a pair anyway, get yourself to a podiatrist!


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment