Monday, August 9, 2010

Relief For Sore Muscles


You won't believe what I put on an overworked knee.  I can hardly believe it, myself.  Let me explain: I live across the street from an old style pharmacy.  It's been in the neighborhood for two generations.  When you walk in the door, the employees really seem to care.  You get personal service that's reliable, along with recommendations for pain ointments that are downright unconventional.  The day I walked in the door to buy a rub for my sore knee, I never imagined I'd leave carrying 16 oz of Absorbine Veterinary Liniment.  There's a silhouette of a horse on the bottle!  It gave me pause, to say the least.  Did I walk into a drug, or a horse supply store?  Was this a joke, or what?  It turned out not to be a joke, and the ingredients, while potent, seem harmless.  The liniment contains a herbal formula with plant extracts like calendula, echinacea and wormwood.  Other active ingredients include menthol, chloroxylenol and iodine.  The label says it relieves muscle soreness, stiffness and swelling.  It stimulates circulation, acts as a “bracer” and “tightener” and you can even use it on cuts and abrasions.  Talk about multi-tasking!  Maybe it also keeps bugs away?

But the label never mentions whether people should use it.  The directions only explain how it's good for your horse!  Perhaps, I shouldn't be surprised that a horse incurs temporary aches and pains and stiffness from a workout.  And now I know, Absorbine Veterinary Liniment helps relieve these discomforts.  It should be applied to all four legs and rubbed on the back, loin and shoulders, before covering your horse with a heavy blanket.

Ok ... but what about a human knee?  There was only one way to find out.  So on the advice of a zany* pharmacist, I took the liniment home and rubbed it on my sore knee.  I only had the one leg to try it on.  But, you know what?  My knee does feel better! Although new to me, this stuff has been around since 1892, and it just goes to show, what's good for a horse is good for me. Whatever works, I always say.  Cost: 10.98 for 16 oz. 
*in a good way


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. I'm a lifelong user of this stuff. Nothing makes me heal up better and you get to feeling better instantly. Important: Don't cover a horse or wrap-up an area if you rub the liniment in, it will get very hot. If you want to wrap (and make the effect last longer) then don't rub it in all the way. I've experienced it, it gets very hot. Good if you can take it, bad if you are a horse since they have more sensitive skin than people. Love This Product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing in to explain how to apply it the correct way!

    ReplyDelete