Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Crystal Body Deodorant Stick, A Review

Several weeks ago, I wrote a blog about my desire to find a natural, or better yet, organic underarm deodorant to replace the commercial ones I normally use.

Puritan's Pride sells one, Crystal Body Deodorant Stick. So I tested it during a week of 90 degree days to verify its effectiveness. Call me either brave or crazy, but here's the verdict: It works!

Upon using it, the deodorant stick feels unlike Secret or Degree. It's not as moist, which isn't a negative, just different. I feel dry, not clammy or wet. 

The Crystal Deodorant Stick isn't perfumey, it's odorless. But more importantly, so am I. No b.o. during periods of activity and running around in the boiling heat. I asked everyone around me to be on the alert to tell me what I need to know, and believe me, they would say something, thankfully. Not a negative either ... because who would not want to know?

So, a natural deodorant stick with no harmful chemicals works! The active ingredient is potassium alum (i.e. a natural mineral salt) which creates a protective barrier against odor-causing bacteria.

I also love that it's a rock stick. It isn't a cream that must be smeared on, nor a liquid that takes a minute to dry. The directions say to wet the crystal, but I don't even do that. I keep it within reach of stepping out of the shower and apply it to damp armpits, making using it as convenient as the commercial anti-perspirants. 

By the way, the Crystal Stick is sold to prevent odor, not to stop perspiration, but it seems to do both. So it's a keeper! (This review is up on Puritan's Pride's website too, along with my 5 star rating as a helpful guide for other consumers.)

Finally, it doesn't stain your clothes, nor leave a white residue. Men and Women can use the original formula, though there is a Crystal Stick especially for men. The 4.25 ounce size lasts a long, long time.

Someone had to test the natural deodorant in the summer heat. You're welcome!



You may also enjoy:

10 comments:

  1. The crystal deodorant sounds really good Debra. I like an organic product, and try to buy Paraben free. However, lately I have found many of the paraben-free products disappearing from the shelves. I don't know what is going on; perhaps the sales are not high enough for the manufacturers. It is strange, because cancer is on the increase, and people really should pay attention to their exposure to chemicals. I will look out for this product in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, I would think if you can't find this exact brand in Australia, another company makes an identical one. As mentioned the ingredient to look for is potassium alum (a natural mineral salt). That's what makes it a crystal. Hope you get to try it.

      I wonder how much Puritan's Pride charges to ship to Brisbane. It does ship to your country. Hopefully, not too expensive.

      Delete
  2. Will check out the men's version as we cruise this this hotter than normal summer with its icky sticky humidity. Though I still love the various flavours of Old Spice- always looking for something new. Thanks for blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why there is a men's version, since the original is not gender specific. So report back to us, Barry!

      Delete
  3. I am happy to report back- the men's version is excellent. We are having a hot summer (3rd hottest August ever, at least since TV Weathermen have been reporting on such things) and I had several days of moving and exertion in non- air conditioned environment. Definitely I was sweating, but no smells. So I give this product an A+ and I want to thank Savvvshopper for letting me (and others) know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth noting- as this is second time that I got stopped at Airport security re Crystal for men. They said that the container set off the alarms. But it has proven to be an excellent product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, that's so interesting! Since it's a big salt cyrstal and the container is plastic, I wonder what it is that sets off the alarms?

      Delete
    2. OK, the plastic in the container is thicker than others for cosmetics. The shape is military, like a small artillery shell. And the ingredients, a metal salt may just look like metal on the screening program. So, to the image / scan/ identify software that TSA has, I would say that it looks like ammunition. I am going to leave the Crystal where I am, don't want more hassles, and at home maybe buy another Crystal, or use up my Old Spice.

      Delete
    3. Wow, I never dreamed the Crystal would give airline security problems! You know, the manufacturer makes a smaller travel size for $3. Check Pruritan's Pride's website to pull it up, if you want to take a look at it. I don't know if the smaller size would eliminate the problem of getting through or not.

      Delete