|Photo: Vanity Fair|
Let's start the first day right with a nutritious breakfast. But after a night of celebration, one without too much fuss. One pan dishes keep the preparation and clean up easy-breezy.
Here's a recipe I got from the Food Network. Feel free to make it your own, as I did, with ingredients you usually stock in your kitchen:
Western Skillet Eggs Baked In An Oven
1/2 cup skim milk
|Photo: Food Network Magazine|
sea salt, to taste
punch of dried garlic
turns of the black pepper mill, to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large green pepper, sliced into sticks
1 large red pepper, sliced into sticks
punch of nutmeg
punch of fresh celery leaves
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
4 ounces ham, diced
2 cups of whole grain bread, cut into bite sized pieces
2 teaspoons dried parsley, plus more for topping
8 large eggs
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the milk, garlic, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste in a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet. Add the onion, bell peppers and celery leaves and saute 5 - 7 minutes until soften.
4. Next throw in the tomatoes, ham, bread, parsley and 1/4 cup of water and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. It only takes a few minutes. Season to taste.
5. Then turn off the heat and make 8 indentions in the bread mixture with a spoon or measuring cup. Crack your eggs into each indention.
6. Pour the set-aside, seasoned milk over the eggs.
7. Pop the omelet into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the eggs are set.
8. Top with parsley to make it pretty.
Serve with coffee and juice. Bon Appetit!