Monday, December 30, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

Photo: Debra Turner via iphone
Don't start your diet yet because the next two blog posts will feature food. Christmas may have passed, but some of us are still celebrating, right up until New Year's Day. Par for the holiday course. Accept it.

This year I was a slacker when it came to baking cookies. I reasoned ... with the eggnog, chocolate candy and mulled apple cider (not to mention nuts and a few bakery cookies), did I really need to bake cookies too? Well, apparently, the answer is ''yes'' because I baked a batch.

Friends who live in the neighborhood went out of town for the holidays, leaving me the keys to their apartment. When I went over to check on things the first day, on their counter they left me a festive basket of fresh fruit and dark chocolate. Very thoughtful (and delectable) right?

So when they return tomorrow, they will find a batch of these cookies sitting in their kitchen (along with bags of white tea and chai tea, a surprise!). So you see, it is really is their fault that I baked them. The oatmeal gives the cookies a nice texture, and there are chocolate chips in every bite. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup peanut butter (if you leave pb out sometimes, add a tablespoon of liquid)
Photo: Dr. Oz Show
1/2 cup graduated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1 large egg                                       
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut (optional: I threw it in)
6-7 ounces chocolate chips (that's a package)

Directions:

1. Start by throwing the butter into a mixing bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to soften. 
2. Add the peanut butter. Mix together.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, one at a time, using an electric mixer to combine.
3. A full cup of oatmeal produces a drier (but still moist dough). Form into 1-inch balls and place on an oiled cookie sheet (or on parchment paper). I flatten them slightly.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 350-degree F oven. When done, cool for 2 minutes before removing the cookies from the pans. Let cool completely before storing in a container.

I have a feeling my friends will enjoy these cookies as much as I do. Naturally, I had to taste their deliciousness before offering them as a gift.

You may also enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I would LOVE these cookies - peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Happy New Year, Debra, and thank you for visiting my blog. Look forward to more interesting exchanges over 2014.

    ReplyDelete