Thursday, April 11, 2019

Which Area Rug Do You Like Best?

Click to enlarge
Take a look at two area rugs: Both are 100% wool and made in India by established rug merchants. At full price one is 4 1/4 times more expensive then the other (and likely of slightly better quality). And yet, both are machine woven (as opposed to top of the heap hand looped rugs) -- so these two are more or less equivalent quality-wise.

As expected, hand weaved area rugs are thousands of dollars higher than machine weaved rugs ... costing about $8,000 - $15,000+ for an 8' by 10' versus about $1,500 - $5,000+ for machine weaved. A consumer must decide if s/he wants to put his/er money into home goods that get walked on daily. It's what I had to decide in replacing my area rug.

So as not to influence your choice I will only say: Of the 2-machine weaved area rugs above: 
Rug pads extend the life of your rug.

A) I loved one best upon sight in the store.

B) The other was a lovely online closeout find. It had the similar colors and warmth as the original that caught my eye ... for less.

I had 3 criteria in choosing my rug. I desired something: 

1. Well-made for the money spent;

2. 100% wool, no synthetic fibers;
My old rug

3. Consisting of the color family of my old rug (so I wouldn't have to change everything else in my apartment to match). Moreover, my old rug had striking pops of color, yet still bestowed a warm cozy feel to the room. (In fact, I loved it a little too much but now must move on as my hookah smoking upstairs' neighbor's fire ruined it.)

Rugs can pull a room together as my old rug did. If you love certain colors, there is no need to change them. Begin with what you like, and go from there.

How do we decide when to pay a higher price for articles including area rugs? Here's how I decide: If something is 10 times more than the other, I ask myself if I like it 10 times more. When the answer is yes, pay the piper. When the answer is no, save.

I never lie to myself by pretending to like both equally, but sometimes I don't like them enough, or value them enough to pay the piper more. At times I decide to save the difference if a cheaper alternative fits the bill.

So now readers select your rug: Which rug do you like best? And ... do you spend thousands of dollars for hand spun rugs as some people do ... and why? This could be an interesting discussion. For what items will you pay up?


You may also enjoy:
Buying Light Bulbs
Do You Have A Design Challenge?
5 Kitchen Tools I Will Never Buy Again
The Best Places To Go For Antiques And Home Decor

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    From these photos as a whole, it is impossible to judge any quality or difference. The back side would reveal a lot more about its knots per square inch. So that is hard to tell and you did not mention anything about that, almost most important factor. The finer woven, it is more expensive. Of course wool is superior to synthetic but even within the wool there are many quality levels.
    Ours is 80% wool with 20% silk and from Horchow at that time. We have it for about 15 years since the Rose Suite living room got finished. But I have moved it upstairs now. https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2012/11/our-rose-suite-living-room.html
    The color is important as you select a rug for quite a while to use and enjoy!
    But spending outrageous amounts on them is ridiculous and only affordable for the super rich!
    Husband Pieter has seen how they got woven from the very fine wool, in India. We do have silk table rugs in the dining and living room but not on the floor.
    https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2015/02/part-x-husband-pieters-trip-to-india.html
    Wondering why they are machine made in India?!
    The best quality rugs always got woven in the Kashmir region where they have the best wool quality. But since the slaughter of Hindus... https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2015/02/shocking-tragic-and-horrible-untold.html
    To both of us, a rug has a lot more meaning as we can picture the lifestyle of those that have woven them. Pieter even has seen it with his own eyes. Often the middlemen make way too much profit for any such piece...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On purpose I didn't give the quality nitty-gritty between these two. I did mention overall what makes rugs expensive and less expensive. For the purpose of the blog, I am interested in knowing superficially -- looks only -- which do people like best. Then secondly, do people buy top quality, splurge or save on this household item and why? A discussion of values when it comes to area rugs in a home.

      How interesting that you and Peiter got an up close look at the rug manufacturing industry. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

      Delete
    2. Debbie, it was ONLY Pieter who got to see how these fine rugs got woven. It was and never has been a rug manufacturing as it was done inside their poor homes... As can be seen from his photos.
      Hugs,
      Mariette

      Delete