Friday, May 10, 2019

Danny Seo's Baked Kale Falafel

Photo: givemedelicious
I have no idea why falafel cakes are so expensive at the health food store. Five tiny appetizer-sized cakes range from $5 - $7 per package, and frankly I need 3 packages to satisfy my hunger. Since the vegetarian ingredients are cheap, why such a big markup? Could it be the labor? It's puzzling! 

I have no desire to spent lots of time or money on a basic dish, so I'm happy to stumble upon the following easy recipe for baking falafel cakes at home. Oh and note: baking instead of frying, what a healthy bonus! I saw this on television and wrote the recipe out for you, my lovelies:

Danny Seo's Baked Kale Falafel

Ingredients

5 springs of fresh kale - massaged and cut down into small pieces, then sprinkled with salt (Eyeball it. I stopped at 2 springs)
1 small red onion, chopped
olive or vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried cumin
2 teaspoons dried dill
1 teaspoon dried garlic
1 14 ounce can of chick peas, mashed
1 lemon - zest and juice (I used a capful of cider vinegar, easier.)
1/4 cup of bread crumbs (I used 1/2 cup oatmeal.)

Directions:

1) Prepare the raw kale and toss into a mixing bowl.

2) Into a frying pan pour 2 tablespoons of olive (or vegetable) oil. Add a sprinkle of salt. Cook the onion and dried spices for 60 seconds, or so and toss into the bowl with the prepared kale.

3) Add a can of chick peas into the bowl.

4) Zest and juice a lemon into the mixture. (As noted I just added 1 capful of cider vinegar.) 

5) Mash the chick peas, kale and seasoned onion mixture. If dry add drops of water. Next toss in 1/4 cup of bread crumbs and stir to combine.

6) Using a spoon or ice cream scooper, scoop out a dense ball and drop onto an oiled or parchment lined cookie sheet. If using parchment paper, brush it with oil - so the falafel will be crispy.

7) With your fingers flatten them out and go back to drip an extra drop of oil on top of each patty to give them a crunch.

8) Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. 

And while the falafel bakes, make a dipping sauce --

Tahini Sauce for falafel

Ingredients
Photo: chefehome


1 fresh garlic clove cut and mashed
1/4 cup tahini paste
1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
a punch of salt
2 tablespoons water
chili flakes to taste

Directions:

Toss all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk vigorously with a fork until creamy.

Let's say you don't stock tahini paste: You can cheat like I do and use ready made hummus as your dip. (I pay $4.99 for 17 ounce tubs, as opposed to $8 for a jar of tahnini paste. Why would I make it?). Also, feel free to substitute any nut butter, or peanut butter for tannini paste to make a dip. If desired, you could go in a different direction to make a creamy tangy yogurt dipping sauce.

Easy, healthy, delicious and inexpensive ... yes a bullseye recipe!

Update: The next time I will fry them in 2 tablespoons of hot olive oil in a pan on the stovetop. There's no benefit to baking them as you can simply brush the pan with a little oil. Fast and crispy. I will only bake them when making a huge amount.


You may also enjoy:
Let's Plan A Wine Party 
Let The Barbecues Begin
Sabra Hummus Is The Best 
New York City On A Saturday Night

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    You are very smart for making your own as the pricing of such cheap ingredient Falafels doesn't make sense. But as is often, convenience comes with a very steep price tag!
    Tahini is so healthy and it is delicious too.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't stopped eating meat, but I do eat many meatless meals and probably cook and bake more than many Manhattan residents. When I was displaced in a hotel by the hookah smoker's fire in our building, I found it a chore eating out nightly. Eating out is only fun when it's a choice and part of entertainment. And too, sometimes the expense is ridiculous for what you actually get!

      Delete
  2. This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.

    Brief but very accurate info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaa, its pleasant conversation on the topic of this post at this place at this web site, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.
    Wow, this post is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these things, therefore I am going
    to convey her. Hi there! This article could not
    be written any better! Going through this post reminds me of my previous
    roommate! He always kept preaching about this.

    I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he's going to have a
    very good read. Thanks for sharing! http://goodreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your post, and you explain each and every point very well. Thanks for sharing such information. Is Falafel Good for your Health?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ibn. I also enjoyed your article!

      Delete