Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Repurpose Food Containers, Jars and Mugs

These are the food containers delis use when customers buy potato salad or coleslaw. Mine comes from the health food store when I buy a pound of peanut butter. I find they are the perfect size to portion and store homemade soups, stews, chili and leftover vegetables in the refrigerator or freezer. And you can stack them inside your cupboard with dry goods such as rice and whole grains, candy, or even medicine like packets of Alka-Seltzer. Moreover, you can see right through them! They are available in 3 sizes: 8 oz, 16 oz and 32 oz. Mostly I use the 16 oz size.

I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, but recently I began using them (minus the tops) as organizers for like-things inside the top drawer of my night stand. As much as possible I try to repurpose something I already own to organize things since buying drawer organizers can add up to a fortune. Sometimes it's worth the expense. At times these free plastic food containers make the perfect repository to give necessities inside a nightstand a proper home. If you were to fill an entire drawer with them, they might keep one another from flopping around inside the drawer, or you might need to get creative by stitching, or hot gluing them to hold together.

Now I'm eyeballing other objects I rarely use to repurpose as vessels to hold other loose things. No need to buy special drums, old coffee mugs work for office supplies, such as pens and pencils which you need to grab repeatedly. Food canning jars come in many sizes: I already use large ones to store pasta and medium ones for syrups. Alternately, there's no reason they can't provide a home for desk supplies such as paper clips and tacks, or household tools like nails.

Furthermore, I use an old glass candle holder for my collection of lip balm. Place on a workspace, or somewhere within reach.
Can you get better organized by grabbling a rarely used dish, tank, carrier meant for one thing to repurpose for something else needing a home?


You may also enjoy:
Buy Used Books    
An Orgainzed Purse   
Shelf Helpers To Organize
Do You Repurpose Your Things?     

No comments:

Post a Comment