Friday, September 4, 2020

The Kentucky Derby 2020

Photo: AP
The one and only time I attended the Kentucky Derby was when I was 16 years old. My high school friend, also a Debbie, had an adventurous mom who was brave enough to take 4 teenagers to Churchhill Downs with 1000s of other people. We had fun, and our chaperon did too. Hours before the race we watched a young man climb up a tall metal light pole and take off all his clothes, tossing them to the ground and then watched the police wait for him to climb down to take him away. Poor naked lad, he missed the race! All in all a mellow crowd, the excitement saved for the race itself. Near the start of the race, my namesake and I separated from our group of 5 to find a spot pressed against the fence in the infield to watch the horses run by, and we succeeded, as the spot we randomly selected turned out to be the starting gate that becomes the finish line! The rest of our party decided to watch the race on big television screens set up under a roof area. This was a time before cell phones, yet we knew exactly where to find each other after the race ... the cashiers' widows to cash in our winning tickets!💰💸🤑

Every year I long to go back to the Kentucky Derby but must watch it on television. This year I'm not alone. Nobody gets to go to the Derby, and we will all have to watch the 2-minute race at home.

So to celebrate the 146th running of the historic race, I'm going to hook you up with 2 traditional Derby cheese dips to eat in the comfort of your living room: 1st up is Benedictine Cheese dip. You can leave it as cheese dip. It is also popular to make Benedictine Tea sandwiches:

Benedictine Cheese Dip

Ingredients:

Bluegrass Bites here
1-8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 peeled, seeded, drained, and finely chopped cucumber
1/2 cup minced onion (or green onions)
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise (regular is fine, but do not substitute flavorless non-fat mayonnaise ... never buy it!)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
A shake (or to taste) of hot sauce (I use Louisana hot sauce, but Tobasco is used too, or to tone down the heat, you can use black pepper to taste ... but why would you?)
Optional: a couple drops of green food coloring

Fresh slices of bread if you make sandwiches, or vegetable sticks and crackers for a dip.

Directions:
Teatime magazine here.

Chop everything as finely as possible and using a potato masher, mix it up in a bowl. (Yes, you can use a food processor if you wish.) 

This simple cheese dip makes delicious sandwiches, but I do not know why as you would not think so!

For the 2nd authentic Derby cheese dip: Kentucky Beer Cheese, I must turn you over to Chef John. His video is so much fun to watch, it is not to be missed. Sooo tasty too!

Below are links to some of the other traditional Kentucky Derby eats I prepare (at times someone brings) whenever I invite friends over to watch the race ... normally held on the 1st Saturday in May. This year our COVID pandemic postponed the Derby, which will run on Saturday, September 5th without any spectators at Churchhill Downs. The loading of the horses into the starting gates happens at 6PM. The race begins around 6:30PM. Check local listings for all the Derby coverage if you wish to see features about the horses, jockeys and owners.🌹

So this year like no other, we are all equal and in it together watching from the comfort of a couch!🙂


You may also enjoy:
Since 1875: The Kentucky Derby (see for history and main course recipes)
Louisville After The Kentucky Derby
The Pegasus Parade Before The Kentucky Derby
Kentucky Derby Favorites: Hot Brown And Chocolate Pecan Pie

7 comments:

  1. Usually, a bunch of friends/ neighbors go to a dive bar down the beach and watch the Derby (also same for Preakness and Belmont). One year, I think when American Pharoah was the winner, I won a bunch of Benjies on a betting pool so I bought bourbon for our whole crew. This year, I am thinking about smaller gathering, at the beach, and tossing back some Kentucky mules (probably Makers and Goslings ginger beer w/ some lemon essence or maybe lemon juice). No colorful hats for our crew- but usually some good trucker hats or similar. May the best horse win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Barry, what great fun! Must be a blessing to have the beach especially nowadays.

      Delete
  2. What a fun story, going to the Kentucky Derby. I have never been to Australia's richest horse race, the Melbourne Cup, but have been to many Cup parties over the years. More recent times we have had a small gathering at home which is lots of fun. I have collected a few horse ornaments from thrift shops which I put on the table, and we have little games and prizes. I absolutely love your snacks, those horse heads are fantastic! I have never seen a cutter like that, but now I will start looking. The horse shoes are terrific too, and I think I could manage that myself :) Our race is the first Tuesday in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nearly impossible to get a box seat or even a place in the stands on Derby day, yet the in field was mellow and loads of fun as people come from all over the world to attend — the mood was very mellow and friendly. People came with their families and brought big coolers with food, sodas and beer, but in recent years alcohol is banned — I am not sure about food. You can buy food at the Derby, expensive though it is. For some reason, I can't remember what we did. We were with a mom, so I'm sure we were well prepared not to go hungry.:) As you might know from your racetracks, there are earlier races before the big one, the Kentucky Derby. So one walks around and enjoys the entire day with the folks you come with. If you were to go on any other day during the racing season, you can sit in a box seat. In New York, I still need to get to the Belmont! It's something I'd still enjoy with interested friends. My bets are small - $10 - no more than $20 total, which I consider entertainment money. But placing a bet makes the race more fun to watch.

      Delete
  3. Ended up in the back yard, no beach at the actual time of the race, but big loud speakers where I blasted a live broadcast of the race so guests could cheer on their fave horses. On the food front, it was port wine cheese and crispy crackers- both store bought, but they did the trick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious you had people over to watch the race, the benefit of having a backyard! I'm sure they were happy with port wine cheese, also tasty.

      Delete