Friday, July 19, 2013

Breakfast In New York: Not Just Lox And Bagels Anymore

Photo by Tilia
If you find yourself in New York City sometime, there are three breakfast foods you absolutely must try. I have a savory palate and am a big fan of the Scotch egg. It's an egg, wrapped in ground pork or duck sausage, breaded and fried. (I love all things breaded and fried, though I don't let myself eat everything breaded and fried. This is worth it.) The yolk of a perfectly cooked Scotch egg is often a little runny. The egg is served with a grainy brown mustard. I try to limit myself to eating two, but I can devour more. Visit Fat Radish on the Lower East Side (17 Orchard Street), a breezy London themed restaurant to taste them.



A cronut is described as part croissant and part doughnut. The hybrid pastry was invented by Chef Dominique Ansel, who says it's "a fremented dough that's rolled, fried, topped with lemon cream and finished off with maple sugar." Only 300 are baked per day, and they sell out within an hour of the bakery's opening. People line up in the wee hours of the morning to buy 2 per person. Equally in demand is Chef Dominique's Frozen Smores.


Choux Factory makes delectable French cream puffs in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry coffee and green tea flavors. There are several Choux Factory locations in Manhattan. Unfortunately, one of them is within one block of my apartment building, so I don't have to make any effort whatsoever to bring them home. My favorite flavor is probably the vanilla, but perhaps it's the one I happen to be eating at the time.

You may also enjoy:
A Father's Day Memory
Steaming Hot Cincinnati Chili
Welcome To The Loveless Cafe
May The Pies Of Texas Be Upon You

2 comments:

  1. I will be gaining weight just reading this blog-excellent posting. For nice muffins and yummy croissants, I sometimes go to Le Pain Quotidien on 53 Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues- they have some other locations but that's mine. But no Scottish eggs there- just good pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Scotch eggs are worth looking for, Barry. You won't put on weight eating them.

    ReplyDelete