Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Boathouse Farms Green Goodness

Looks bad, right? It's delicious!

My mom tells me I was always a good eater. Our family ate lots of meat and potato dinners along with seasonal vegetables and salad. Mom only made dessert, often a cheesecake (with either a lemon or strawberry topping), on Sundays that we ate several hours after dinner while watching televison.
Growing up, I remember eating lots of carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and green beans. It didn't occur to me not to like healthy food. A side salad usually consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, onion and cucumbers topped with a homemade vinaigrette dressing.

People like food that is familiar to them. Some parents encourage their kids to take a few small bites before deciding they don't like a particular food. Then they back off  ... and every so often have their kid try the new food again ... without making a big deal out of it.

Thinking back on our family meals makes me sympathetic to Peter Pan. Unlike Peter Pan, I wanted to grow up. But when I moved out of the family home, I also lost access to the family cook and baker. Alas, all good things do come to an end.

Today I still eat my vegetables, and as a sweet treat I recently discovered Boathouse Farms' Green Goodness smoothie. According to the label, it's loaded with anioxidants A and C, plus a few minerals. It is a blend of 13 servings of fruit and vegetables -- including 6 apples, 2 kiwi, 3 2/3 mango, 1 1/2 banana and 1 1/4 pineapple, as well as, broccoli, spinach, barley grass, blue green algae, garlic and jerusalem artichoke. It has no artificial flavors or preservatives. The texture and taste are fantastic! After dinner if I crave something sweet, I often have a glass of this spinach green drink. 

And equally important, it's reasonable priced: $6.50 for 52 fl oz (1.54L). Buying the ingredients separately to make a similar smoothie costs much more. So the drink is a great value, in my opinion. 140 calories per 8 oz.

You may also enjoy:
Eaters Beware
Health Care Reform: A Doctor Weighs In
Vitamins For Your Health, Is Expensive Better?
Happy Thanksgiving From THE SAVVY SHOPPER

3 comments:

  1. I love fruit and vegetable juices, which I think have great anti-oxident properties. This green one sounds really good - except for the kiwi fruit to which I am allergic. My favourite is carrot, orange, ginger juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, I would love yours too, especially with a little kick of ginger! I think the drinks which are a combo of fruit and veggies have the benefit of keeping the calories down. When you're drinking your healthy produce, you have to watch the calories sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that V8 has a veggie / slightly fruity combo which is very good. In the blender department, smoothies are pretty good- lots of nourishment. Also have noted that cucumber is very popular in mixed drinks. Regarding calories, if you can fill up on something healthy, extra calories are not a problem.

    ReplyDelete