|Photo: Debra Turner|
Debbie's Taco Bowl
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup of salsa (I like medium, or hot -- and chunky)
a protein: Choose one of the following: cubed tofu; cooked ground beef; diced ham, leftover and cubed beef, or chicken, etc.
1/2 to 1 cup beans, such as pinto, pink, kidney or black (Use what you have or like.) You can also open a can of refried beans.
sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
Seasonings to taste: I use --
dried garlic powder
cilantro, dried or fresh
sometimes a few snips of a jalapeño pepper
lettuce, shredded (and whatever crunchies you wish to add. Sometimes I use a portion of a bag of salad.)
1/3 - 1/2 of an avocado, sliced or diced (or guacamole, if you have it)
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of rosemary, parsley, dried celery
1) Cook the brown rice according to the package directions: For one serving: 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt; about 1 1/4 cups water goes into a pot. Cover with a lid. Bring the rice to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
3) Top with the spicy salsa, raw onions, protein of choice, beans and slices of cheddar cheese.
4) Sprinkle on the seasonings to taste.
5) Microwave until the cheese melts and bubbles. About 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave.
6) Finally, top with the lettuce and avocado.
7) Optional: I sprinkle vinaigrette dressing on the lettuce and avocado.
The above ingredients are for one serving, if you have a huge appetite like me! Double the ingredients for two people. Triple for three, etc. The dinner has everything you need: protein, starch, vegetables, salad and flavor. Spear and mix with a fork and enjoy!
You may also enjoy:
Guilty Pleasure Songs 4
Maangchi's Homemade Kimchi
Wishing You A Merry Christmas
About Dad (And Mom) On Father's Day