Monday, February 22, 2016

Tex-Mex Taco Bowl Quick Meal

Photo: Debra Turner
Sometimes when I arrive home, I don't want to cook or wash lots of dishes, but I still want to eat a hot, healthy meal. So years ago I began making my version of a Tex-Mex Taco Bowl. A tortilla, or wrap is not something I usually stock at home (I'd have to go out to get it), so instead, I use brown rice. This quick and easy dish is a delicious mish-mash of textures and spicy goodness.

Debbie's Taco Bowl

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup of salsa (I like medium, or hot -- and chunky)
Photo: WiseGeek
1/4 cup diced raw onions
a protein: Choose one of the following: cubed tofu; cooked ground beef; diced ham, leftover and cubed beef, or chicken, etc.
1/2 to 1 cup beans, such as pinto, pink, kidney or black (Use what you have or like.) You can also open a can of refried beans.
sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
Seasonings to taste: I use --
dried garlic powder
onion powder
cilantro, dried or fresh
sometimes a few snips of a jalapeño pepper
lettuce, shredded (and whatever crunchies you wish to add. Sometimes I use a portion of a bag of salad.)
1/3 - 1/2 of an avocado, sliced or diced (or guacamole, if you have it)
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of rosemary, parsley, dried celery

Directions:

1) Cook the brown rice according to the package directions: For one serving: 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt; about 1 1/4 cups water goes into a pot. Cover with a lid. Bring the rice to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
Photo: health.com
2) Transfer the hot, finished rice to a large soup bowl.
3) Top with the spicy salsa, raw onions, protein of choice, beans and slices of cheddar cheese.
4) Sprinkle on the seasonings to taste.
5) Microwave until the cheese melts and bubbles. About 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave.
6) Finally, top with the lettuce and avocado.
7) Optional: I sprinkle vinaigrette dressing on the lettuce and avocado.

The above ingredients are for one serving, if you have a huge appetite like me! Double the ingredients for two people. Triple for three, etc. The dinner has everything you need: protein, starch, vegetables, salad and flavor. Spear and mix with a fork and enjoy!

You may also enjoy:
Guilty Pleasure Songs 4
Maangchi's Homemade Kimchi
Wishing You A Merry Christmas
About Dad (And Mom) On Father's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment