|Photo: Fine Cooking|
Chocolate Pudding - homemade is the best!
Ingredients for pudding:
4 cups milk
3-4 tablespoons dark cocoa or cacao powder (You can substitute dark chocolate bars, or Baker's chocolate.)
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) cornstarch (You can substitute all-purpose flour, but make sure to simmer for 5 minutes so the flour doesn't taste raw.)
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Extras - after you make the pudding:
Chocolate chips, or dark chocolate shavings
Directions to make the pudding:
1) Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Everything goes into cold milk and whisk.
2) Once the ingredients are incorporated, turn on the heat on a stove top.
3) Keep whisking and beating until it boils and thickens, which only takes a few minutes after simmering begins. Whisk the entire time to keep it smooth!
Pudding is so simple to make, I never buy pudding mix in a box. If you have a box in your cupboard, improve the taste by adding 2 eggs to the ingredients. After using it up, never buy it again. Instead, make pudding from scratch. (For vanilla pudding, bump up the vanilla extract and leave out the cocoa.)
3) After it thickens, pour into pudding cups.
I eat half my pudding warm (because I'm no better than a child. I love hot pudding as a winter comfort dinner) and refrigerate the other half.
Directions continued (after pudding is made):
4) If you have the self control to wait, line a dessert dish with Oreo cookies and alternate with pudding and chocolate shavings.
5) Refrigerate to chill and serve.
Optional Step 6: ↗If you don't mind going one step further, separate your eggs, using the yolks to make your pudding and save the egg whites to beat into a meringue (add a tablespoon of sugar to it). Top off your chocolate pudding, chocolate chips (or shavings) and Oreos with meringue, then brown it in the oven (or use a kitchen torch), before chilling in the refrigerating. Garnish the very top with more chocolate shavings or cookie bits if you like. (Oh my goodness, the wait! The wait! Only for the strong and patient who have not already eaten half the pudding!)
Ok, I won't lie, I only make this layered dissert for dinner guests, but not for just me, myself and I. Moreover, when I layer the chocolate pudding with Oreos and chocolate chips, I double the amount of pudding, or what would my guests eat ... my portion?😋
Easy-peasy, tasty chocolate pudding!
You may also enjoy:
German Rice Pudding
Overnight Chia Seed Chocolate Pudding
Creole Bread Pudding With Bourbon Sauce