Tuesday, November 27, 2018

My Chocolate Pudding With Oreo Cookies

Photo: Fine Cooking
Chocolate pudding is delicious. Oreo cookies are good too. And, chocolate covered Oreos are divine, likely the nectar of the Gods. What if all three ingredients were out driving late one night and crashed into each other, and you could eat them? Well, a vision becomes an easy dessert:

Chocolate Pudding - homemade is the best!

Ingredients for pudding:

4 cups milk
4 tablespoons dark cocoa, or cacao powder (You can substitute dark chocolate bars, or Baker's chocolate.)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (You can substitute cornstarch if you wish)
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Extras - after you make the pudding: 

Oreo cookies
Chocolate chips, or dark chocolate shavings

Directions to make the pudding:

1) Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Everything goes into cold milk and whisk until all the ingredients are dissolved into the milk. My secret to a smooth pudding is make it smooth before you make it hot.

2) Once the ingredients are incorporated, turn on the stove top heat. 

3) Keep whisking until the mixture boils and thickens, which only takes 4 - 5 minutes once simmering begins. Whisk the entire time to keep it smooth!

Pudding is so simple to make, I never buy pudding mix in a box. If you have a box in your cupboard eat it. After using it up, never buy it again. Instead, make pudding from scratch. (For vanilla pudding, bump up the vanilla extract and leave out the cocoa.)

3) After it thickens, pour into pudding cups.

I eat half my pudding warm (because I'm as bad as a child. Pudding is a comfort food. Refrigerate the other half.

Directions continued (after pudding is made):

4) If you have the self control to wait, line a dessert dish with Oreo cookies and alternate with pudding and chocolate shavings.

5) Refrigerate to chill and serve.

Optional Step 6: If you don't mind going one more step for a fancy presentation: Separate 2 eggs (save the eggs for a custard or main dish). Beat the egg whites into a meringue (add a tablespoon of sugar to it). Top off your chocolate pudding; chocolate shavings; and Oreos with meringue, then brown it in the oven (or use a kitchen torch), before chilling in the refrigerator. Garnish the very top with more chocolate shavings or cookie bits, if you like. (Oh my goodness, the wait! The wait! Only for the strong and patient who have not already eaten half the pudding!)

Photo: thecookingchicks

Ok, I won't lie, I only make this layered dessert for dinner guests, but not for just me, myself and I. I make plenty of pudding, or what would my guests eat ... my portion? I think not!πŸ˜‹

Easy-peasy, tasty chocolate pudding!


You may also enjoy:
Banana Pudding
German Rice Pudding
Overnight Chia Seed Chocolate Pudding
Creole Bread Pudding With Bourbon Sauce

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a good pudding recipe. I have never come across one like that, and it would work better than a pre-mix. But I must resist, as several unwanted pounds have crept onto my frame - back to the Diet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to throw you off your diet, Patricia. This time of the year is wicked with treats! You can make this pudding with skim milk and limit the sugar too. The eggs and milk make it high in protein, so it can be a legitimate part of your dinner. Eat plain pudding without the Oreos or chocolate shavings, to keep the calories low.

      Delete