Thursday, January 17, 2019

Hotel Survival Goodies

Hotels can't compete with a home and are not much fun sans the vacation. Plus hotel meals and snacks are expensive!

And too, being separated from all one's stuff is tremendously disorienting. Jeepers! Many of the things a displaced person needs to carry on with life are missing and not at one's disposal. 

Below are 3 things to help make hotel life easier thereby turning disorder (um, chaos) into order: 

1) Plastic Storage Bags With Sliders (see the above image ) - Truly the most vital item on the list! I find the sandwich size bags the most useful in separating and organizing toiletries; snacks; plastic utensils; and computer/phone device cords. In addition, I have two large Plastic Bags With Sliders for big items like my night shirt, which I slip inside the bag before putting away in a closet; and for dirty clothes. Bags with the slider-close work better then zip lock bags without sliders (because there are no tracks to line up). Moreover, see-through plastic bags keep me from going batty guessing what's inside of each one. I don't have to open transparent bags to see contains. What's more, I like to move them aside so the hotel maids have an easier time cleaning.
2) Targus Back Pack - This happens to be my backpack, but any backpack with lots of organizing pockets and compartments will do. You can carry devices, notes, receipts and essentials you normally leave at home, but can't do without while you are homeless. And ... hands free, heck yeah!
Snacks and plastic utensils in a Slide-Close sandwich bag.
3) Pure Protein Bars, Cliff Bars and Nick's Turkey Sticks - Easy and inexpensive snacks that won't spoil without refrigeration. In order listed, the snacks have {P.P.B.} 20 grams; {C.B.} 10-11 grams (depending on flavor) and {N.T.S.} 10 grams of protein each. As you can see, I store them inside their own duffel-style bag to keep them organized and easy to grab.

The hotel, which isn't cheap, provides water upon demand, but unfortunately no complimentary coffee.😱 Many hotels have a station for complimentary coffee and tea. If only this one did! It would let guests drink a cup: 1) without room service; 2) going out to fetch it before showering; or 3) waiting until we leave for work to find it. Me. Need. Morning. Coffee. First-thing. After. Waking! A relatively cheap perk for a nice hotel (with a most helpful, friendly staff!). Still I'm grateful to be here during a challenging time. 

Update: A 2nd front desk employee (the 1st didn't know; it isn't advertized) said coffee is offered in the lobby from 5:30 am - 8:30 am. Good news, but why not keep it filled and up until the afternoon? I went down at 8:15 am to pour the last cup out of a single urn.



You may also enjoy:
What's Your Money Quirk?
Traveler Meet The Barracuda
Suitcases, Umbrellas And Travel Organizers   
Picture This: On a Vacation With Nothing To Wear

6 comments:

  1. Well done on the organizing, Debra. You are making practical sense out of your predicament. I love those plastic bags while travelling, just as you are doing. Seeing what is in there is so handy. Re the coffee, I too like it first thing in the morning. All hotels in Australia have tea/coffee making facilities, and we always get a shock when overseas to find that is not always the case. I used to have a little immersion heater which you could put in a mug of water and it would boil it up for a cup of instant coffee. Which I had to remember to bring with me! Maybe you could find such a device. I love how you have all the little healthy snacks packed in their own bag - a little mini pantry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, I was surprised by the lack of a coffee station too. It is purely the choice of the hotel and has nothing to do with how upscale or moderate the hotel is in New York City. I will look for that immersion heater devise. I'm glad to know of its existence!

      Delete
  2. I never travel w/out my slider plastic bags in several sizes. They take up no room and have saved my luggage on more than one occasion from leakage. Also, the small bags are great for cosmetics while away from home. You can see what you have at a glance, which saves time.

    The coffee issue in hotels is always surprising to me that some of the best hotels do not provide coffee stations.

    Your life has clearly been disrupted, and I hope and pray that you will be able to resume your normal routine very soon.

    What is the prognosis on getting back into your apartment?

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll update you soon! Luckily I am able to stay in the neighborhood so if management requires something of me I’m no too far off, but unfortunately there’s not many food choices by the hotel outside of the hotel.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Debbie,
    Could we ever survive without such a back pack? The hands free is my biggest reward and for having things orderly inside as you mention.
    You are a clever lady for separating things inside the glider storage bags.
    Too bad you don't have a coffee maker inside your room. We mostly opt for any Hyatt hotel and there's always good coffee. Pieter is like you, need coffee right away before breakfast!
    Also for making tea in the afternoon we love the ability to have it in the room, gives you full privacy for making yourself comfy and 'at home'.
    Do you have a fridge or microwave in your room? The latter is even better but not always available.
    Life is not easy when having to live without so many things...
    Let's hope it will not be for too long.
    Stay warm and cozy and eat as healthy as possible.
    Those Cliff bars I've ordered whole sale for many years, also using them for teas and such.
    Since they do contain still lots of sugar, I've dropped them.
    Wishing you the best for toughing this rough period out and hope you manage to stay cozy and warm!
    Big all around hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a tiny refrigerator stocked with beer and bottled drinks, which I removed over to a shelf. I bought a block of chedder cheese, 4 ounces each of deli turkey and ham, a small package of baby carrots, a few apples and pears and 2 quarts of milk. Now I can eat like a camper. I have to eat out for hot meals. Unfortunately, no macrowave to heat water or warm food. A microwave would solve the coffee problem. Stay tuned! #aventuresInhomeless

      Delete