Thursday, November 14, 2019

Stuff I No Longer Buy

Efforts to simplify life can involve either 1) getting rid of things; or 2) buying (and restocking) less for home. To illustrate, I'll share a few articles no longer on my shopping list:

1) Nick-knacks and decorative trinkets - Nowadays I don't bring anything into my home that has no function. Not even a footrest that doesn't also provide storage! Every object must do something more than collect dust. It must hold, organize or have a job - a talent (so to speak) like mixing a cake, or housing a blanket.

2) Windex glass/mirror cleaner - Now I use a mixture of white vinegar and water. On the rare occasion, I need a stronger solution for an extra tough stain, I mix water with ammonia. So I no longer need to buy Windex.

3) Bathroom cleaner - I use a mixture of white vinegar, water and baking soda to clean bathroom fixtures. Adding plain ole table salt to the mix removes extra tough gooey soap scum. To be truthful, I do keep one bottle each of bleach and ammonia to attack stains that other solutions won't clean, but honestly, I very rarely use either.

4) Spot removers and specialty laundry soaps - An eco-friendly laundry ball to wash clothes which easily fade. Dish soap to get out a food stain on a shirt. Frankly I still use liquid laundry soap for a full load of laundry. Until the balls are validated by scientific studies, go with soap, the tried and true method for heavy-duty laundry cleaning.

5) Floor cleaners - White vinegar and water clean and kills germs without ruining rugs.

6) Oven cleaner - I clean with less abrasive white vinegar and water to keep my new stove looking pristine. I also use white vinegar to clean inside a microwave.

7) Breakfast cereals - The box keeps shrinking to the point it's not worth buying anymore. Instead, I eat oatmeal and other whole grains.

8) Guacamole - Rarely do I buy it. Alternately I buy avocados, usually at $1 each from a fruit stand to eat with hot sauce or salsa. Or make your own guacamole by smashing an avocado in a bowl with a fork. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste, garlic, chopped cilantro, and some lemon juice. Delish.

9) Cake mix and canned icing - Nope. Homemade from scratch, or made by a good bakery. No in-between!

10) Fashion jewelry - All I need are a few pieces of fine jewelry that I love wearing over and over again. I wouldn't discourage a teenager or twenty-year-old from having the fun of experimenting and changing up their looks with inexpensive fashion jewelry. Been there, done that. Nowadays I'd rather save up for a few lovely pieces of real gold and stones, then wear them to death. Less is more ... as you only need a few good pieces.

Can you make my list longer by adding items you've stopped buying?


You may also enjoy:
Extra Storage Solutions
The Best Anti-aging Skincare for Less
Macy's For Fine Jewelry ... Yes or No?
White Vinegar: The Perfect Household Cleaner

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    Well, as we all age and get wiser, hopefully, we make do with a lot less things.
    It is either more eco-friendly and more health-friendly.
    White vinegar I've used for more than 50 years... for windows the very best and for lots of things.
    Fashion jewelry has never been on my list, a kind of a waste of money as it depreciates right away and is getting out of style too.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariette,

      I think because my father bought my mother and I a few pieces of fine jewelry over the years for birthdays or accomplishments, I'm never been an over buyer of fashion jewelry either. Also my mother is European like you, so she values real gold earrings, etc. Don't try to give her costume jewelry!!

      In my 20s I bought several pieces of fashion jewelry at Express -- but back in the day, you got them for like $5-$10 on sale, and now the sale price is much higher, so I'd never buy them today! But different strokes for different folks.

      As I always say, even fine jewelry should not be thought of as an investment. Reselling it, you will rarely, if ever, get back what you paid for a piece. That's not to say, my earrings or a necklace doesn't make me very, very happy to wear! I love them!!!😍

      Delete