Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Very Happy Thanksgiving

Photo: 123greetings
Despite challenges along the way, life is good! Thanksgiving is a time to reflect upon our strokes of good fortune: Home, family, friends, health, work, purpose and freedom ... how lucky are we?
Photo: Getty
Again this year, I'm roasting a Thanksgiving chicken in lieu of a big turkey. As much as I love turkey, it's too much of a good thing. Due to all the sides (like potatoes, gravy, asparagus, carrots, broccoli, butternut squash, cranberries, my beer bread) and desserts (pecan pie and pumpkin cheesecake -- we couldn't decide on the finisher, so we didn't:) even a chicken leaves more leftovers than can be eaten! Next year perhaps it will be a small Thanksgiving Cornish hen. My favorite side, the bird's stuffing, I'm omitting because it's simply too much to consume, plus the beer bread turned out sooo good ... and can be dipped into gravy! Enough starch, I decided.πŸ™‚
Photo: thsobrosnetwork
Wishing all my readers time to relax, reflect, connect with family and friends and a scrumptious meal with all your favorite trimmings to enjoy.

🌽Happy Thanksgivinmy Friends ... I'm grateful you stopped by today!πŸ¦ƒ    
-- xoxo --


You may also enjoy:

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Debbie,
    Happy late Thanksgiving to you and yours!
    We've had a very quiet day and went biking in the sunshine with low 70s.
    Needed that fresh air as our Barty boy is in his final days it seems like.
    Tuesday morning we went to the Vet with him and he got several shots, she said an 'infection'... But he has gone down since then and refuses to eat. Only drink a little... So sad to see this gentle, loyal black angel go down. He's 15 and 8 months so we realize the odds are slim.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry to hear about Braty, your beloved cat. With pets it's a difficult goodbye. Nowadays my Thanksgiving dinners are also on the smaller side. Usually I'd rather be at home also, since I don't have a car and must return to Manhattan by rail or bus. I have the been there, done that syndrome.:) Today was a great day spent without traveling!

      Happy Thanksgiving! It's early evening so there's a bit of the holiday left!

      Delete
    2. Happy Thanksgiving Debra! Your feast looks fabulous, and not for the first time I wish we had this celebration too. I love the golden colours of Autumn, as they come up in the festive table.

      Delete
    3. Well Trish, if you and Mr. C return to visit New York ever in the fall, I will throw you a Thanksgiving Dinner with all the sides and a pie. It turns out the Native Americans who originated the holiday did not have just one Thanksgiving a year, but many throughout the year. I wrote about how the holiday took form on this very blog - it will come up if you enter "Thanksgiving" in the search box on the left.

      I am thankful it has remained a holiday with no gifts to give -- just getting together with friends and family. My German mother learned to make a turkey and stuffing from my father. After a few years, her stuffing was the best I've ever had. In the early years she did add her own spin to the meal with kartoffelkloesse (German potato dumplings), which Americans may or may not appreciate, but I like them. As the years passed kartoffelkloesse dropped off her menus and was replaced with regular potatoes ... Mom, the slacker.:) They were not really needed as a starch with stuffing and potatoes, not to mention pies. We bought the pies. Mom was more of a streusel maker, which she may have done in her early years. On Thanksgiving families tend to prepare too much food, which ends up as leftover meals over several days.

      Delete