Friday, October 9, 2020

Mini Italian Cream Cake


Sometimes I crave a slice of cake, not a big 9-inch cake that I must eat all week long to finish, but only a slice! So I bought two 4-inch Fat Daddy aluminum cake pans and got the idea to reduce the quantity of a cake recipe to make the equivalent of a slice of cake. I'm thrilled with the results! It took a pandemic to think of experimenting to make a single-serving cake, and in fact there's more than enough to share with a partner.

Nobody knows how Italian Cream Cake got its name since the cake is from the American South, not Italy. Here's how to make a 4-inch mini cake:

Mini Italian Cream Cake

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup shredded coconut

You will need two small 4" cake pans, buttered and floured.

Directions:

1) With an electric mixer cream together the butter, shortening (or vegetable oil) and sugar.

2) Add the egg yolk and vanilla.

3 Next toss in the flour, baking soda and salt.

4) Add the buttermilk. If the batter is too thick, add a little more for a not too thick (or too thin) consistency.

4) Whisk the egg white in a separate clean bowl until stiff peaks form, then use a specular to fold it into the batter.

4) Next fold in the chopped pecans and shredded coconut.

5) Pour the cake batter into the 2 buttered and floured mini cake pans.

6) Bake in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the centers are done. The cakes will bounce back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool. Before the pans are completely cold lift out the cakes.

Italian Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
Ending up with 4 layers

2 ounces cream cheese, soften at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, soften
1 box confectioner's sugar (You won't need the entire box.)
1 squirt of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of ground pecans

Directions

1) Toss the softened cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar into a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and fluffy Never measuring, I pour the powdered sugar into the bowl until I get the frosting consistency I desire. 

2) Spread the frosting on a cold cake in-between layers, as well as the top and sides of the cake. I cut my two 4'' cakes in half to get 4 layers of cake.

3) Sprinkle ground pecans all over the top of the frosted cake. 

Note: I don't need frosting for just myself to be as decadent. So I lightened it by omitting the butter and cream cheese. I used cottage cheese and skim milk instead of cream cheese because I didn't want to open a package of cream cheese I had to finish by myself. Sans butter, the frosting is less creamy. Not what I would serve guests, but the tastes still satisfies. It's good!
----------------------------------------------------------------
To feed more people here are the portions of ingredients for a 9-inch cake:

Full Size Cake

1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups of sugar
2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut

Directions:

1) Follow the steps above increasing the amounts of ingredients. 

For myself alone, a no butter icing.
2) Use either two or three 8'' or 9'' cake pans to make either 2 or 3 cakes. Southern bakers usually make 3 cakes for 3 layers.

Full Size Cake Frosting:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoon butter, softened
box of confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (toasted if you make the effort.)

As you see without guests, I don't go crazy decorating a cake with tons of icing. Crushed nuts are the finish and enough of a good thing!


You may also enjoy:

6 comments:

  1. this looks super yummy...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks like such a good idea, and a change from the mug cakes I have been making. And just when I decided that I should eat more fruit, less cake :) I have to give this little recipe a try....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Trish! The mug cakes are nice and quick … tidy too as you don't have a separate bowl to clean, but they are moist compared to oven baked cakes. So I think you will really like the mini oven baked cake. Worth cleaning the extra mixing dish. :) Enjoy!

      Delete

  3. Cảm ơn chia sẻ của bạn, mọi thứ ở đây đều tốt
    Tôi là Food Blog tôi có nhiều sở thích. Tôi thích đi du lịch và đọc sách. Nhưng sở thích yêu thích của tôi là nấu ăn. Hãy để tôi nói cho bạn biết lý do tại sao! Đầu tiên, tôi sẽ cho bạn biết một chút về lý do tại sao tôi bắt đầu nấu ăn. Thứ hai, tôi sẽ cung cấp cho bạn một số thông tin về những gì tôi thích nấu. Thứ ba, tôi sẽ nói cách tôi sử dụng food near me để nấu ăn.

    Khi tôi bắt đầu nấu ăn, tôi 10 tuổi. Mẹ tôi muốn tôi trở thành một đầu bếp. Bà luôn tin rằng con gái phải làm nhiều loại thức ăn khác nhau, vì một ngày nào đó họ sẽ kết hôn. con gái không nấu ăn là chuyện bình thường. Tôi thấy mình may mắn vì nấu được nhiều món. Bây giờ tôi nấu một số món ăn mà các con tôi và chồng tôi yêu thích, tôi trở nên hạnh phúc và tự hào về mẹ và bản thân tôi. Hãy ghé thăm blog của tôi Ẩm thực việt nam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to THE SAVVY SHOPPER, Food Blog! Happy you stopped by! I used a translator so my other readers can also read your lovely comment below,

      "Thanks for your sharing, everything here is good I am the Food Blog I have many interests. I love to travel and read. But my favorite hobby is cooking. Let me tell you why! First, I'll tell you a little bit about why I started cooking. Second, I will give you some information about what I like to cook. Third, I'll say how I use food near me for cooking. When I started cooking, I was 10 years old. My mom wants me to be a chef. She always believed that girls had to make different kinds of food, because one day they would get married. it is normal for girls not to cook. I feel lucky because I can cook many dishes. Now that I cook some of the dishes that my children and my husband love, I become happy and proud of my mother and myself. Please visit my blog Vietnamese Cuisine"

      I love Vietnamese Cuisine and could eat it every day! Hopefully in the future I will be lucky to visit your country also! I will absolutely read your Food Flog and encourage all my readers to take a look too.:)

      Delete