Thursday, October 21, 2021

Winter Hats, Scarves And Gloves

Well-established retailers, including Echo, Calvin Kline and others are weaving winter, hats, scarves and gloves with manmade fibers, such as polyester, nylon, and acrylic -- which consumers seem to be accepting! Other than at innovative, well-made, and inexpensive Uniqlo, I pass on them. The exception: Uniqlo's Heattech gloves are so cheap, you won't mind replacing them after 2 years of wear. Unlike cashmere gloves (which the company also sells), you can machine wash Uniqlo's Heattech gloves of manmade materials. And too, gloves, which touch everything, wear out faster and need to be replaced oftener than hats or scarves.

As a rule of thumb, however, you can't beat merino wool, cashmere, or a  combination of the 2 materials for warmth and durability despite paying more for them. Personally, I won't even look at acrylic winterwear. A combo of polyester and nylon tends to be warmer than acrylic, but if not Uniqlo-budget-friendly ... don't buy manmade-thread hats, scarves, or gloves ever! This is where my rule of don't buy cute or pretty applies. (Oh, hat and scarf,  you're sooo pretty ... yikes, pricey and not real wool ... pass!)

Echo has launched some super adorable hats of synthetic fibers this season, which I would not be tempted to buy. For just a tad more money, you can get their Cashmere-wool blend Lux Collection of hats, scarves, and gloves. 

After you pay the piper, they'll likely keep you warmer, plus last for decades of winters. Keep your eye on natural fibers of cashmere, wool, or a combination of the two, and wait for a great sale!


Coach is running a flash sale on its merino wool beanie right now ($39), offered in 6 colors. Less than what you pay for some merchants' synthetics!


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what pretty beanies and gloves. We hardly ever use them here, maybe once a year! But of course, I have them for travel. The bad news is, they never wear out, and I do long to buy new ones now and then :) My pink Canadian beanie with a fluffy bit on top is the best. I would love those pink stripe gloves! Maybe we will go to Tasmania again when things open up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, one season cashmere became plentiful and many of the major retailers had it in the form of sweaters, hats, scarves and gloves in their collections that year. What's great about that is the bargains you could snatch up at the end of season sales -- which I did! I got the loveliest well made cashmere gloves, scarf and hat at Anne Taylor for $14 each and a lovely thick cashmere scarf at the GAP -- reduced to affordable (can't remember the price, but it was a steal too), so I'm probably set for life! I didn't overbuy, yet normally I'd just get one instead of 3 colors, and you are absolutely right ... (except for the gloves) these pieces don't wear out! Now the silly thing is, I don't wear the cashmere gloves every day in winter, because I don't want them to wear out! I don't really think we should buy things we save, but mostly keep in a closet. Yet, sometimes I'm guilty of it too!:)

      Delete