Saturday, September 21, 2024

Healthy Fast Food

A skillet stew I make
If you're too busy or tired to cook dinner because your active life doesn't let you enjoy preparing meals anymore, here are 11 foods to have in your pantry at all times so you don't have to eat processed, unhealthy food or overspend on eating out. You'll have to have a few extra items in your pantry such as spices, fresh celery and onions, or soy sauce to flavor my list of 11 main go-to foods:

1) Bags of baby carrots - It took me years to make the swap from whole carrots that I had to clean, scrape, and dice to the bags of baby carrots. Yes, I know whole carrots last longer and cost less, but if already clean, cut, and easy to grab, you'll toss them into whatever other vegetables you're preparing for dinner.

2) A 5 lb bag of potatoes - I scrub and dry them then store them in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator. Food experts tell us not to refrigerate potatoes, but they last far longer refrigerated, and don't turn a poisonous green, and this way I'm much more likely to grab a potato to bake, microwave, or toss into a stew.

3) Top-round London broil steak - It's very lean but requires braising to tenderize. Lately, I'll cube one-pound packages and freeze them to make a quick one-pot stew ready to eat in about 2 hours.

4) Frozen mixed vegetables -  Good in the stew, as well as, a variety of meals. Additionally, I want manufacturers to return lima beans to the mix! Who decided to remove them and why?!?

5) Good rustic grainy bread - Lucky me, I live near Fairway supermarket in NYC.

6) Your favorite cheese - I love most cheeses, but I always return to extra sharp New York cheddar. Another tip is to always keep a few good bottles of red wine in your home so if you have guests but don't have time to cook dinner, you can still offer them filling and delicious food and drink.

7) I also keep a crisper drawer of fresh fruit - Apples, grapes, blueberries, pears, oranges, sometimes peaches, strawberries, or plums. Add the fruit to the wine, bread, and cheese along with nuts if you have them.

8) Skim milk - A staple in our house. Along with ...

9) Eggs - I buy 2 dozen eggs at a time.

10) Canned salmon and/or tuna - Another cupboard staple. In a can, each fish is fully cooked. You can turn salmon or tuna into sandwiches and the salmon into grilled patties -- one of the reasons stocking eggs is a must!

11) 5 lb all-purpose unbleached flour - To thicken a gravy or make a batch of biscuits or pancakes or French toast! 

These inexpensive foods make good snacks and fast meals. Fast food can be real food, it doesn't have to be unhealthy or mean empty calories or require a lot of work.


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment