Friday, August 26, 2016

Salmon Cakes With Spicy Remoulade Sauce

Photo: eat-spin-run-repeat.com, where you can get another fine recipe.
Recently I began making salmon cakes with a crunchy kasha coating and topped with a spicy remoulade sauce.

The first time I dipped salmon cakes in kasha occurred because I had kasha, but no breadcrumbs. It turns out that dinner guests love the crunch; thereafter it's become my permanent way of making salmon cakes.


Remoulade sauce is popular in New Orleans. A French condiment, it is delicious on po' boy sandwiches and other seafood dishes, such as crab, shrimp or lobster. My party guests say, remoulade sauce makes the salmon cakes. I agree; so now when I make the one, I always make the other. A graduate of New Orlean's Tulane University gave me the remoulade sauce recipe, and I'm very grateful! I add a few more flavors like pickle juice to it, though the original recipe is mighty fine too.


Salmon cakes can be seasoned a number of different ways. Here's what I add:

Salmon Cakes


Ingredients:


1 14 ounce can of Alaskan salmon, drained and skin removed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of Quaker oats (or breadcrumbs. I use 1-minute, or 5-minute rolled oats.) 
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use reduced fat, but never non-fat -- which has zero flavor.)
2 tablespoons mustard (I use either Dijon, or spicy brown mustard.)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or lime, whatever you have)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
a sprinkle of dried garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (= 12 turns of the pepper mill)
a turn of fresh nutmeg (I have a nutmeg mill to save my fingers.)
a sprinkle of Herbes de Provence
a sprinkle of parsley
2 tablespoons of olive oil (for the skillet)
1 cup of kasha (to coat the salmon cakes)

Directions:

1) Set aside a skillet brushed with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I use my hand to coat the pan with the olive oil, then mix the salmon with my oil-residued-hand. Extra virgin olive oil is healthy to eat.

2) In a large bowl, combine the salmon, eggs, oats, red bell pepper, onion, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and seasonings and form into patties. Usually I make them hamburger size (for dinner), or small bite size (for a party tray).

3) Pour the kasha onto a large plate and dip both sides of the salmon cakes into it, coating each side.

4) Next lay the salmon cakes in the heated olive oiled skillet. Brown both sides. I like to put a lid over the pan as each side gets golden brown. It takes a few minutes per side, then onto a big serving plate they go.

Next finish the dish off by mixing the hot, creamy sauce.
Spicy Remoulade Sauce

Ingredients: 

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4  cup Dijon mustard (A spicy brown mustard works too.)
1/4 cup tomato, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 teaspoons hot sauce, either Louisiana, Frank's, chili or Sriracha
2 tablespoons of pickle juice (Eyeball the thickness.)
a sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce
a sprinkle of soy sauce
a sprinkle of dried garlic
salt and black pepper to taste
parsley for garnish

Directions:

Stir the ingredients together with a fork and pour into a serving dish. Guests can add a dollup of the sauce on top of their salmon cakes.

This healthy dish is a real crowd pleaser. One can of salmon generously feeds four people. It's fancy, filling and frugal. It reminds me of ultra delicious bar food!

You may also enjoy:
Who Shares The Shape Of Your Face?
A Stop At Henri Bendel's NARS Counter   
9 Ways To Save Money At The Supermarket
How Much Should You Spend To Store Your Stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment