Thursday, April 16, 2015

Healthy Cabbage-Tofu Soup


Recently, I started making batches of the old Cabbage Diet Soup to keep in my refrigerator. Unfortunately, I'm not losing any weight (like my winter gain of ten pounds), but I'm not following the strict diet either. It's just convenient to have a pot of prepared vitamin rich soup I can microwave and eat with a sandwich (or whole grains; or even cheese and crackers) when I arrive home.

The original recipe calls for a package of Lipton's onion soup, which I replace with fresh onions and seasonings. I add a few more vegetables and a vegetarian protein also. (You can use leftover ham, beef, or chicken, if you wish.) I make mine vegetarian so that it keeps for 7-8 days in the refrigerator (and it freezes well for a longer period of time).

The healthy 7 vegetable soup is delicious the first night you make it and tasty later. I'm writing my recipe down here, so we can return anytime to make it:

Cabbage-Tofu Soup

Ingredients:

1/2 head cabbage, cut up (or pick a small head.)
2 large onions, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
3 large carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen green beans (or fresh if you have it.)
15 ounce can whole tomatoes (I buy a 28 ounce can of tomatoes flavored with basil and garlic and use half. Refrigerate the rest for another dish.)
6 cups water
16 ounces, firm tofu, diced
3 double (or 8 small) bouillon cubes (If you substitute chicken or beef stock, than salt the soup to taste.)
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
A sprinkle of soy sauce

1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon dried garlic powder (or fresh)
1 teaspoon dried celery, if you have it.
1 teaspoon dried onion powder
a sprinkle of nutmeg
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil
12 turns of the black pepper mill
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions:

1) Cut up your vegetables (the hardest part of making soup).
2) Throw all the ingredients into a big pot, one by one.
3) Cover, bring to a boil and simmer until tender.

The soup is naturally low in calories. If you follow the diet for a week, the weight will drop off, but I like to add a (side) whole grain and additional protein. I have a huge appetite and always eat a variety of food and textures for a meal. No starving in my house. Bon appétit!


You may also enjoy:
German Rice Pudding
9 Ways To Save At The Supermarket
Egg Thread Soup With Asparagus, Plus
Greenmarkets, Community Gardens And CSA's

4 comments:

  1. I hate cabbage, but I am thinking that recipe would work with crispy lettuce. Also I would add some wasabi. Sort of an oriental dish, spicy and filling, so I can compete with you in the weight loss Debbie-Derby

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Barry, I'm not on a diet, so we can't compete.

    I often think people who don't like cabbage (also broccoli) perhaps don't cook it long enough. Most vegetables are delicious (especially fresh from the garden) if cooked all the way done and flavored with spices and bouillion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well- glad that diet is not necessary. I didn't think so (at least for you). Broccoli would also be very good in this recipe. Would then be very similar to what I've had in some of the good Asian-Fusion place. Agree about the spices and chicken broth. Good flavor and makes you forget that you are having veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, you are very kind. I didn't say that I didn't need to drop those winter pounds. I just don't have the right mind set to do it, right now. I will focus on healthy eating though. Eat healthy food most of the time. Eat sugar once in a while as a special treat. No starving, but everything in moderation.

      Delete