Monday, April 27, 2015

Easy Breaded Pork Chops


My mother always made delicious breaded, center-cut pork chops on a stove top. I have never been able to make them tender or crispy like she did.

Over the weekend I decided to give it another try. Looking at a few recipes to see how ... some said to always buy bone-in pork chops, marinade them for up to 4 hours, or fry them covered in oil; none of which my mother did, yet her pork chops were perfect.

Making 3 chops shouldn't take up to 4 hours, and I prefer boneless center-cuts. My mother's pork chops are still the best (I have to give credit where credit is due); however on Sunday mine turned out tasty too. Below is my recipe:

Easy Breaded Pork Chops

Get out two bowls, a cast iron skillet and olive oil: 

Ingredients for the wet bowl:
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Ingredients for the dry bowl:
1/2 cup whole wheat (or all purpose) flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs (or Grape Nut cereal. Who the heck buys bread crumbs?)
Seasonings: I used --
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
a sprinkle of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions:
1) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together in separate bowls.
2) Dip the pork chops in the wet ingredients, then the dry ingredients.
3) Repeat the dipping, i.e. double dip. Get as much bread coating on the chops as possible. I was pleased to use up all the wet and dry ingredients. No waste!
4) Lay them in a skillet brushed with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5) Bake in a 400 F degree oven until golden brown and the meat is done, about 20 minutes.

How lovely to make a homemade dinner that doesn't take all day to prepare. Serve with potatoes, or rice, plus vegetables and a green salad. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I have some BBQ rub from various trips to Memphis, heavy on the paprika with some pepper stuff, so I will try the recipe with the rub. Looks very tasty and yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, a Memphis rub is sure to be delicious! Let us know how they turn out.

      Delete
  2. This does sound mouth-watering Debra. I will have to print it out and try it. My cooking has become very spare and mean of late. Time for some flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'm been cooking less myself ... and making quick meals. After years of doing it, I guess that's normal. Hope you like this dinner!

      Delete