Friday, September 13, 2024

Sausage Gravy For Biscuits

On weekends after sleeping in, my family ate a breakfast (before the word "brunch" existed) of eggs, bacon, juice, coffee, and (I won't lie) canned biscuits. During the week we'd fend for ourselves. Monday - Friday I drank an Instant Breakfast (a protein and vitamin powder) stirred into a tall glass of milk. When I was in grade school my mom or dad had it ready for me by the time I came to the table. Unlike the weekends when we ate breakfast together, nobody was going to get up earlier than necessary to cook or eat a meal. To this day, we aren't morning people. Sleep rules!

As an adult, I learned to make homemade biscuits from scratch and never again bought a can of biscuits. On vacations, I ordered sausage gravy, which my mother never made. Delish! Here's how to make that as an occasional treat for a weekend breakfast.

Sausage Gravy

1 pound of sausage (Pork, beef or turkey)
1/2 teaspoon of fennel
1/2 teaspoon of sage
1/4 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon black pepper (24 turns of the peppermill)
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk (whole or whatever you buy. All work, but the more fat, the creamier)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1) In a skillet, break up the sausage into crumbs. Flavor with the fennel and sage. Brown the sausage until done. No need to drain unless there's an excess of grease. 

2) Toss in the flour, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.

3) Slowly add the milk and Worcestershire sauce while whisking on medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer while gradually adding all the milk and continuing to whisk. 

4) After the gravy thickens taste and if needed add more salt or pepper. I like the taste of black pepper and a hint of heat in this gravy.

Round out your breakfast with eggs, juice, or fruit, and coffee. Check to see if your biscuits are ready to pull out hot from the oven. Bon Appetite, country style! 


You may also enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious - not like any breakfast we know here! I have never known canned biscuits, which must come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child I loved canned biscuits with strawberry jam. Nowadays I make them from scratch since I always have the ingredients but would have to buy the canned one.:)

      Delete
  2. I have not had a chance to make these yet, but this looks like an absolutely fabulous recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete